“Excellent SF Spot”

Ranked #54 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
California
“Excellent SF Spot”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Centrally located in Union Square, Hotel Rex is a great find in San Francisco. In a city with notoriously busy and pricey hotels, booking directly with the hotel was an easy bargain. The staff was very friendly and the hotel's character is great if you enjoy classic design features and charm. The room was plenty big, bigger than other SF hotels I've stayed in. Scored a room away from the street and noise wasn't an issue. The room was super clean, cozy and a robe and slippers are always a nice treat. The toiletries were nice, bed was comfy, TV was big and I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A higher floor away from the street will make for dreamy sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelot80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I stay at the Rex everytime we go to San Fran. The staff is so friendly and we feel like family when we stay there. The location next to Unioin Square is perfect. The hotel is not glamorous but comfortable and reliable. The quality is good and the rooms are clean. We appreciate the robes and slippers. The highlight is Jeff at the front desk and Max!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

What would we do without Maximo. What a doll he is, part of the hotel itself. Hotel has perfect character for San Francisco. Makes you feel like your walking back in time a little, in a comfortable way. Rooms are cozy and amazingly clean. I stay in hotels a lot and these rooms always look deep cleaned. Great cleaning staff, cleaning manager and front desk. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear TravellingSQ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I very much enjoyed your comments and I will make sure to inform Maximo as well as our hard working housekeeping staff about your nice words!

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back at the Hotel Rex very soon!

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer
415 217 4023
lmaurer@jdvhotels.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were lucky to stay for 6 nights. Hotel staff were really friendly and the hotel facilities were exactly what we were looking for. The hotel is a great location for exploring SF during the day and access to pubs etc at night. A free glass of wine at the hotel bar started the night of nicely...we would highly recommend and hope be back again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review on Tripadvisor! As a small boutique hotels every review really helps us.
-Ina
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Unfortunately I only stayed for only one night. My bed was a dream! I was only in SF for one night, but I will definitely stay again when in SF. The staff were so gracious. I checked in early, left my car and luggage, and went to family business. I returned late, but was greeted warmly and invited for a complimentary glass of wine in the cozy bar. After my trying day, I asked for a perfect manhattan, and that is exactly what I got. I loved my soft and cozy slippers and robe. Met interesting and friendly guests at coffee the next morning at coffee. Perfect location too!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Jaybird SF,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadivsor. I will make sure to share your comments with the entire staff.

I hope to welcome you back to San Francisco and the Hotel Rex in the very near future!

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer
415 217 4023
lmaurer@jdvhotels.com
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights up to New Year 2012/13.

Liked the classic American hotel bar downstairs - right down the (genuinely) friendly mild alcoholics that prop up the bar. Food seemed like it would be okay, though never ate there. Room, TV and shower room all good - more the feel of a good B&B than a chain hotel, which is what I fancied. We had a bad night's sleep on New Year's eve because of people messing about in the hallway, and the hotel worked with Expedia to process a full refund for that evening, which was a good solution to that annoying problem. It's an old building, and if you want to stay in an identikit hotel, there are plenty of other chains where you can do that in SF. It won't blow you away, but it's a decent price, very central, clean, has a bit of charm to it and overall we liked it and would recommend (though do try to cross your fingers and avoid a hallway of Californian brats spending daddy's money as loudly as they can through the night!)

Room Tip: Noise doesn't seem to travel room to room, but it does travel from the hall to the rooms, so if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dalkeith1
NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Rex is, yes, old – but nicely renovated and decorated with flair. The staff is among the best I’ve encountered anywhere. Friendly, smiling and extremely competent. When I checked in, I said I’d joined the Joie de Vivre club online the previous night, not that I expected anything for it – and the man at the desk immediately upgraded me to an executive king. I was on the 4th floor, facing Sutter – but the noise didn’t bother me at all…except one morning when I was up at 4 am and heard the garbage collection. But it’s a city – so that’s OK. The room had a large number of electric outlets, conveniently placed, free wifi, nice TV. And the king bed was comfortable. Small but very clean and well equipped bathroom. Non-slip tub bottom; built in hair dryer. The next morning I was waiting for companions to join me so we could share a cab to Emeryville – and the desk man offered to call a trustworthy car service. Also used that for my return to the airport when leaving. The Library Bar was pleasant and there’s free wine (not bad) at 5 pm (and free coffee or tea in the morning). I was attending a small meeting at the hotel, and the meeting room and chairs were very comfortable [which is not always the case], and the A/V guys were very good in setting us up. The location is excellent and the rates reasonable. While it’s not a 5-star on a universal scale, it deserves a high TripAdvisor rating for what it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business