“Loved the Rex!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Sacramento, CA
“Loved the Rex!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Unfortunately I only stayed for only one night. My bed was a dream! I was only in SF for one night, but I will definitely stay again when in SF. The staff were so gracious. I checked in early, left my car and luggage, and went to family business. I returned late, but was greeted warmly and invited for a complimentary glass of wine in the cozy bar. After my trying day, I asked for a perfect manhattan, and that is exactly what I got. I loved my soft and cozy slippers and robe. Met interesting and friendly guests at coffee the next morning at coffee. Perfect location too!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Jaybird SF,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadivsor. I will make sure to share your comments with the entire staff.

I hope to welcome you back to San Francisco and the Hotel Rex in the very near future!

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer
415 217 4023
lmaurer@jdvhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights up to New Year 2012/13.

Liked the classic American hotel bar downstairs - right down the (genuinely) friendly mild alcoholics that prop up the bar. Food seemed like it would be okay, though never ate there. Room, TV and shower room all good - more the feel of a good B&B than a chain hotel, which is what I fancied. We had a bad night's sleep on New Year's eve because of people messing about in the hallway, and the hotel worked with Expedia to process a full refund for that evening, which was a good solution to that annoying problem. It's an old building, and if you want to stay in an identikit hotel, there are plenty of other chains where you can do that in SF. It won't blow you away, but it's a decent price, very central, clean, has a bit of charm to it and overall we liked it and would recommend (though do try to cross your fingers and avoid a hallway of Californian brats spending daddy's money as loudly as they can through the night!)

Room Tip: Noise doesn't seem to travel room to room, but it does travel from the hall to the rooms, so if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dalkeith1
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Rex is, yes, old – but nicely renovated and decorated with flair. The staff is among the best I’ve encountered anywhere. Friendly, smiling and extremely competent. When I checked in, I said I’d joined the Joie de Vivre club online the previous night, not that I expected anything for it – and the man at the desk immediately upgraded me to an executive king. I was on the 4th floor, facing Sutter – but the noise didn’t bother me at all…except one morning when I was up at 4 am and heard the garbage collection. But it’s a city – so that’s OK. The room had a large number of electric outlets, conveniently placed, free wifi, nice TV. And the king bed was comfortable. Small but very clean and well equipped bathroom. Non-slip tub bottom; built in hair dryer. The next morning I was waiting for companions to join me so we could share a cab to Emeryville – and the desk man offered to call a trustworthy car service. Also used that for my return to the airport when leaving. The Library Bar was pleasant and there’s free wine (not bad) at 5 pm (and free coffee or tea in the morning). I was attending a small meeting at the hotel, and the meeting room and chairs were very comfortable [which is not always the case], and the A/V guys were very good in setting us up. The location is excellent and the rates reasonable. While it’s not a 5-star on a universal scale, it deserves a high TripAdvisor rating for what it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have stayed here about five times in the last few years. After the first visit, we haven't even bothered to look at any other hotels. It's just off Union Square, a half-block from the Powell St. cable car, and provides ready access to sightseeing, shopping and dining. The Library bar is quite inviting and the hotel staff goes out of their way to make the stay pleasurable.

Being that it is a small hotel, some peripheral amenities are not available, but, If you want a convenient, comfortable environment you will find it here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atbklyn
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

It pains me that I am actually updating (and downgrading) what used to be my favorite hotel in SF. But my last two visits (both in January 2013) left me disappointed and somewhat bewildered. There seems to be a significant number of new staff that just don't carry the same level of excellence as the folks that have been around the past five years or so (Ganjali, Conrad, Jeff, and Tony at the bar) are a few of the great ones that come to mind that make the experience worth it-- just as long as they are there). I found if the tenured staff are not around the experience is completely different. Its funny how all the things that seem charming about the Rex when the experience goes well (like the quaint antique elevator) loses the charm when it doesn't; (the quaint antique elevator becomes mind-numbingly slow and just slightly larger than a coffin, or how the nostalgic litterary-bohemian-theme becomes tired and dated, or the moment the interesting peachy-colored hallways suddenly looks eerily similar to the color of human flesh). I hope the management, Joie-de-Vie, or whoever is in charge can find out what happened and recapture what used to be the best boutique hotel in San Francisco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Adam S
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Adam:
I just started as GM in March and I am working my way through past reviews. I am so sorry you feel the hotel has lost some of its charm but I also want to assure you taht we are working to restore the Rex back to its original intent and glory. If you , your friends or family plan on coming back please let me know. I want to personally meet you and thank you for your loyalty. Gitanjali, Orion, Jeff, Tony are all still an integral part of our staff and we are working with the newer staff on how to welcome you into our home.

-Ina
idang@communehotels.com
415 217 4023
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Rooms and common areas were clean, though not new. Decor was very intellectual - library - quaint. The elevator seemed to be wallpapered in the actual pages of an old social register. Very cool. The hotel was right on the Trolley line and almost everywhere we went was walkable. The staff was very helpful with recommendations and directions, and we took advantage of the "free glass of wine hour" every night in the library bar. It felt very homey and cozy and we'd for sure stay again

• Stayed February 2013
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Rex for 5 wonderful nights and could not say enough great things about it. The location was perfect for us, as we mixed a business and pleasure trip. The proximity to the financial district and Nob Hill was perfect for a day of meetings followed by great dinner options in the area (highly recommend Sweet Woodruff and Sons & Daughters). The lobby and library bar at the hotel are just perfect, great vibe, wonderful people, good food and cool artwork.

Like all Joie de Vivre properties... the best part is the people that work there. Friendly, smart, helpful and all-around wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple