Hotel Rex San Francisco
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Grant Hotel(San Francisco)
Sheehan Hotel(San Francisco)
Hotel Beresford(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
1,767 results
All reviewslibrary barfree glass of wineunion squaregreat locationboutique hotelsutter streeteach eveningsmall hotelwine receptionour honeymoonwine hourair conditionercable carcentral locationaround the cornervalet parkingtwo blocks
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Everyone is very very friendly and helpful! Love the complimentary wine hour from 5-6 for hotel guest. Great way to meet others staying there! Monday night is movie night at the Library bar. Tuesday is vinyl night. Tony (bartender) has quite a collection!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

First time in California and we started our journey in San Francisco's Rex Hotel - it has a very intimate feel to it. The staff were very attentive and went out of their way to get whatever information we required. As locations go this is brilliant, just a half block away from Union Square, Cable Cars, and a few blocks from China Town. The hotel has a European feel to the decor, dark but welcoming. This is an older hotel with charm and just a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: We had an inside facing room, so no road noice, in fact never heard a thing at night
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

What I loved: The bar was a nice mix of locals and guests. The location - close to food, bars, public transport and taxis. Staff were always courteous and helpful.

Other pros: Bathroom amenities. Decor is fun.

Cons: Price - I found a deal for my stay but if I had paid full price I would have felt ripped-off. Definitely not worth the original asking price. The noise - such a great locations means lots of street noise. Room size - it's an old building and the rooms are small. The bathrooms are even smaller.

Would I feel comfortable staying here again? Absolutely but only if I found a pricing deal.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank P S
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After spending 2 weeks at the Rex on a business trip to SF, I feel I can say with a fair degree of certainty that this is an excellent hotel. It's location within a short walk to Union Square, Chinatown, and the Financial District is a huge plus. Add to that an elegantly funky, but relaxing interior and fabulous staff, and the hotel exceeds expectations. My Executive King room was much larger than expected in SF and included a sofa bed. Its location at the back of the hotel and away from the elevator was quiet - perfect for having to get up early for work. The Library Bar's free glass of wine each night (up until closing) was welcome at the end of a hard day, as was its small but delicious menu of food. I especially recommend the flatbread pizza and garlic fries! I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelingCAGirl
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear TravelingCAGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Hotel Rex. As the General Manager of the Hotel Rex I'm very pleased with your positive feedback and will make sure to share it with the entire staff.

I'm looking forward to welcome you back to the Hotel Rex very soon!

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer
Hotel Rex
415 217 4023
lmaurer@jdvhotels.com

Reviewed October 28, 2012

With so many choices of hotels in San Francisco, we recently decided to give Hotel Rex a try. Whenever we come to the city for business or pleasure, which is quite often, we usually opt for the Union Square area because of its central location.
When browsing for hotels online the Hotel Rex grabbed my attention for its library-themed details. From the photos the lobby/bar had a comfy "old-San Francisco" salon feel, with oil painting portraits hanging throughout. In person it didn't seem quite a lush as in the pictures, but it was charming nonetheless.
We were traveling with a single cousin on this outing so we booked two rooms, one king and one double-bedded single. We definitely had a better room than she did. While our room was flooded with sunlight and spacious, hers was dark, decidedly smaller and dingier overall. Our air conditioner was also quiet while she complained that hers was noisy enough to keep her awake at night.
Every evening from 5-6 PM hotel guests are invited for happy hour, complimentary wine in the lobby bar. It was a nice way to unwind and segue from day to night. The staff were all friendly and accommodating, making out stay very enjoyable.
Hotel Rex is not the most luxurious of San Francisco accommodations, but it is clean and comfortable, well priced, and is well situated in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the sunny side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends