“A Great "First Hotel", on our Road Trip.”

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #59 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Nottingham, UK.
“A Great "First Hotel", on our Road Trip.”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was our first Hotel stop on our 18day Road Trip. Although very quirky we really enjoyed the atmosphere here. The Library bar was very nice place and we even enjoyed a LIVE Jazz singer before going out one night. We had a free glass of wine on arrival but we only had one of them. The Barman was very attentive and even reminded me I still had my other glass of wine to have the next day. Breakfast was 'nice' not brilliant but adequate. It was also exactly the same on the two mornings we ate there. Would have been nice to have some different selections. All in all I would recommend this Hotel. Very good location and very near to Union Square.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Ashby de la Zouch, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Rex on the first part of our honeymoon, and we couldn't have chosen a better hotel! The hotel is very well presented, clean and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly.
We had a room on the top floor which was a decent size and was clean and fresh. It was also quiet at night so we got a good night's sleep.
The lobby bar offers a free glass of wine every evening for guests which we gladly accepted each evening. If you want a bite to eat then the bar also offers a selection of meals which were delicious from the ones we tried.
The hotel is also in a great location; only one block from union square. Also if you want to take the cable car down to the warf then the stop is just down the street.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough. If you're thinking of a trip to San Fran then definitely give this hotel a visit. You won't be disappointed!
Hope to be back soon to see Max the pug! Thanks for everything

Adam & Charlotte

Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have stayed at the Rex many times for short getaways from Sacramento. On several occasions we've introduced friends and family to the hotel because it is consistently good. The staff is very helpful, the ambience is charming and their pet friendly approach is delightful. This stay they let a young band spontaneously play in the lounge .... One that is on the professional circuit and was just a great treat for guests. How many hotels woul do that? The Rex is our favorite and we can't recommend it highly enough. Our schnauzer ruby echoes these sentiments but in the ancient language of Dawg.

Room Tip: Join the club
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My stay at the Hotel Rex was a wonderful experience. When I checked in, they offered me a room at the front that was brighter but closer to the street OR a room at the back that was darker but quieter. I chose the room at the front and it was perfectly comfortable for me. On my last day, they held bags for me after I checked out. When I returned for my bags, I enjoyed dinner in the library and it was delicious. They suggested and offered an inexpensive shuttle since I was traveling to the airport late at night and it was very easy. All of the staff members were so welcoming and gracious throughout my experience. Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are louder (street noise) but have more daylight. You generally don't need a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristen L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Admittedly the hotel had some character,and the staff were quite friendly/helpful, however did not appreciate owner's pet pug lounging on lobby chairs, and generally musty/smelly carpets... They offered free wine etc for happy hour, but it was of course bad/undrinkable..as my sister says "Just because its free doesn't mean you have to drink it..."
The room was fine/not small, but perhaps cluttered in effort to maintain artsy/literary theme.
Bathroom was big and toiletries good quality. Good coffee and free NYT provided in a.m. Perhaps it was good/above average, but NOT very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BombaxFlower
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I loved every minute of our stay at The Rex. It was fabulous. The location is perfect and we were within a short walk of union square. Our room was quiet, however, and we slept very well each night. It was also spotless. We loved the ambience in the hotel. The bar is a great place to wind down after a day out in the city. We particularly enjoyed the jazz on Friday evening. Denise Fraga (I hope I have her name right) was excellent. The staff are really friendly and helpful. A special mention has to go to Patrick, bellboy turned barman who did a great job and was 100% charming and entertaining with it. I especially loved meeting Maximo, the worlds best pug. My only disappointment was leaving. If ever we are in San Francisco again we will be booking into Hotel Rex, for sure.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Minky1One,

Thank you very much for your kind words about your stay at the Hotel Rex. I will make sure to share your review with Patrick and the entire team! I'm hoping to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Rex in the very near future!

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer
Hotel Rex
415.217.4023
lmaurer@jdvhotels.com
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Rex on August 3-4 as a Priceline package. This is high season in SF, but the price for our room was $126 before taxes/fees and about $150 after taxes. It is rated a 3 star hotel on Priceline, probably because of the lack of a fitness center and smallish rooms. However, we had a very nice stay. Instead of using the fitness center, we chose to run up and down the hills of SF. A much better and scenic work out than the elliptical or treadmill provided by most hotels.

We checked in late, but the front desk staff was very helpful. We parked at EZ Park, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. This saved us $20 in parking ($20/night with taxes and fees - 333 Jones Street), compared to the hotel rate of $40/night.

We were there for only one evening and then switched hotels, Club Quarters in the financial district. We wished that we had stayed longer at Hotel Rex. It was a much better experience for us.

Many thanks for a wonderful stay!

2 Thank sstayner