“Perfect for San Francisco exploring”

Hotel Rex San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Spent three nights in this great city center hotel in March. The key about the hotel is it's location and the fantastic staff really.We walked a couple of times to Fishermans Wharf (easier walking there than back!) in about 35 mins which was a great way to explore the lovely city. It's situated right in the city centre so close to many central restaurants and bars and a short walk to Chinatown and the Italian district for sone nicer restaurants.
The rooms are good,comfortable and clean but nothing that will blow you away. Happy hour at the bar provides you with complimentary wine and great service from the bartender who was full of cool tips and chat (cant recall his name but he gave us some amazing tips on where to go for drinks/food so thank you!).
Nothing bad to say about this hotel,would recommend it and would stay again for sure if I went back to SF.

• Stayed: March 2011

Reviewed April 1, 2011

This is a small-ish boutique hotel which serves free wine from 5-6pm daily. Hotel is about 10min walk to Powell St. Bart station. You could also take the cablecar to Fisherman's Wharf easily.

Slept well and Walgreens is just at the corner - perfect for picking up snacks and drinks.

I love the free Wi-Fi!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Nice hotel but very very hot. We arrived in the middle of a heat wave and baked for the next three days.
Staff were very knowledgable and friendly. A free glass of wine at the bar every night is a great added extra.
Great Location, just above Union Square

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola K
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I booked this hotel based on other reviews and having good experience with other hotels by Joie de Vivre. But my, was I disappointed:
- Rooms were noisy, especially from guests walking upstairs.
- The rooms were cold, cold, cold and heating was down but they chose not to disclose it. My colleague got a heater, but I apparently checked in too late to get one.
- They had lost my reservation when I arrived (although they could see it in their system). The clerk suggested that I was lucky they had a room, not sorry that they'd lost it.
- Reception area and halls resembled a typical upscale motel.

On the positive side, it is a good location and rooms were clean.

I've traveled the entire world, but this was one of my worst nights of sleep ever (I feel suddenly tired just thinking of it).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank northowl
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Dear Northowl,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at the Hotel Rex. I was bothered by your comments and I'm very sorry that your experience was so negative. All the same, I am working with the team to make sure they understand the gravity of your experience and how we need to insure that your experience is not duplicated. We aim to “wow” all our guests during their stay with us and while we enjoy a very good success rate at doing this, we clearly missed the mark in your case.

Thanks to your comments we were able to find a leaky valve connected to your guest room which prevented the warm water from the central heat to circulate properly. We were able to fix that pretty easily thanks to your comment.

I'm glad we were able to connect via email and hope you will give the Hotel Rex another chance during your next visit in San Francisco. I'm convinced that we can do much better in all areas than what you experienced during your stay.

Warmest regards,

Lorenz Maurer

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Hotel is very near to Union Square and 10-minute walk from underground station with direct line to the airport. Just around the corner you can take cable car to Fisherman's Wharf which is quite nice. Most importantly rooms were clean and we were very satisfied with the staff. Highly recommendable, especially if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

When we go to an interesting old city, we like to be right in the middle of things and stay at a "neat" place. We got it all here PLUS a free glass of wine in the evenings. This hotel is what San Francisco is all about!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My fiance and I had a wonderful and relaxing trip. Be careful of pick picketers in this area. I thought I was being very careful about to make sure this didn't happen, please take precautionary measures. We still had a wonderful trip, but a very frustrating ending to our trip due to thieves.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business