“Slick, but not ready for what they're charging”

Hotel Zetta San Francisco
Ranked #22 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Slick, but not ready for what they're charging”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The hotel got plenty going for it. The lobby is gorgeous and the bar is a scene. The decor is ultra modern without being pretentious. Your first impression is definitely "wow! what a cool place."

That impression carries through to the room experience. The bed is plush and comfortable and the bathroom is pretty slick. They definitely pay attention to cleanliness. I loved the 42" flatscreen Samsung that was in my room. Great for watching the Science Channel!

Things started going down south when I ordered room service. My dinner was definitely not fresh. Stale is more like it. Of course the price tag attached to that reflected a much better quality of food, but reality was far from it.

Then I was really disappointed when I asked the front desk staff to send someone over to my room to make it up (I was in my room all day working.) Nothing happened on the first request. I had to put in 3 requests before anyone made it up to my room.

I guess what I leave you with is this: this is a great hotel. Is it ready for primetime given the price tag? Maybe. I won't go back soon. Maybe in a year or so.

Room Tip: The bar in the lobby is great! Have a drink there.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ielshareef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Trendy furniture, quality linen, interesting decoration, larhe room and bathroom, good noise insulation, quite a list of elements having made our stay enjoyable.

A complimentary coffee in the room, and a quiter ventilation would have been plusses.

1 Thank longtravel09
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear longtravel09,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We do offer 2 daily complimentary Illy pod in the room that you can enjoy with the Illy espresso machine. I will review with my team to make sure that they are replenished on a daily basis.
Safe travels,
Benjamin Duverge - General mnager
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

A small quaint hotel located near Mission and Market Streets. Eye catching decor using recycled materials to make amazing things. The staff is young, vibrant, cheerful and the most helpful I have encountered in a long time. Smiles are on the faces of each group that you meet from the doormen, to the front desk to the bell captain and wait staff. As a week long guest, I got to experience a wide range of staff and services. Enjoyed meeting a group of friends in gameoom to watch LSU vs Alabama football game. Few hotels offer a multi-purpose room large enough to serve a variety of activities and several groups at one time. Hated to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Lynda B
Dear Lynda B,
I hope that you have a great stay in San Francisco for a week, the hotel has a lot to offer and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the team and the playroom. You are right not many hotel offer a room like our playroom where it is easy and fun to meet a group of friend and have a good time. Come visit us back soon!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I appreciated the tone and vibe that this place is trying to exude, but I'm sorry to admit that I was not impressed and can't rave about this place like other reviewers did.

It was fun, edgy, creative and sets itself apart with a game room and lounge area that most other hotels may not think of. I think it caters to a male audience which is a switch as spas and other amenities are usually frequented by women. The lounge is open 24-7 and contributes to a vibrant feel to the place when you walk in.

I was there for 5 nights and by the end I was ready to leave. My gripes, in no particular order:

- I sent out some shirts for steaming/pressing and they didn't return when they said they would be there, and I got them a full day later after I called and waited a long time for someone to track them down. It was very expensive and there was no consideration for the delay.
- The AC wasn't working in my room so their solution was to install a window unit. It did the job but it was loud. I called about it and there wasn't a lot they could really do about this, apparently.
- Breakfast in the Cavalier was chaotic at best. One morning I ordered toast with peanut butter and orange juice since I thought it would be the quickest choice (having learned from previous mornings not to order anything more extensive). It took them 15 minutes for someone to come and tell me that they don't have peanut butter. I could have made 5 rounds of toast by then and had only had my orange juice at that point. They had the good sense not to charge me for my COLD toast when it was brought to me in a to-go container as I had a schedule to keep. I was with a group for business who had pre-arranged the account so I couldn't very well go elsewhere as I definitely would have.
- I attempted to order room service/breakfast the morning before I checked out in an attempt to streamline my morning and let me pack uninterrupted. I was told on the phone the night before that they don't do in-room service. I called the next morning and 'surprise!' - they do. I don't know how they could confuse that but apparently someone didn't get the memo. For a ridiculous amount of money I got ONE CUP of cling-wrapped coffee, cold toast, and no butter/jam. Any other hotel knows that a carafe of coffee is the norm. I had to call and get butter and jam - but the fruit with mint and honey was good. Not worth what I paid when I only had a small cup of coffee. Stingy!
- My safe wasn't bolted to anything so anyone could have walked out with it. It was promptly fixed but I'm not sure how this was missed by previous guests or housekeeping.
- My room faced the back and garbage collection seemed to come on time between 5:30-6:30am on 3/5 mornings. Not great when there are several loads/trucks and the backup beepers were also in full swing for 10-15 minutes. By then, there is no way to get back to sleep so you might as well just wake up.
- My final bill was not accurate and they make it impossible to interpret any charges from the Cavalier restaurant. Like I said - that place was a gong show and I would steer clear. Unfortunate, since the staff seem like they work hard and it's a really nice place to sit and have a meal or a drink.

The good stuff (I'm not completely unreasonable/high maintenance!):
- Everything was very clean and comfortable
- The room was spacious and the workspace was very conducive to getting work done.
- Great location within the City and the main transportation hub at Powell/Market
- Concierge and Front Desk Staff were terrific to deal with
- Lounge and Bar/Lobby area were very busy and nice to spend time in and have a drink or 5
- This might be a minor thing but the elevators were quick to arrive

I think that they are trying to sell a bill of goods - being a new, trendy, upmarket hotel geared to tech-savvy people who want something unique and conducive to work and play - but they don't quite deliver. I just think they have a lot of kinks to work out before they can call themselves 'one of the best'. It's a combination of a lot of 'little things' that really turned me off and had me yearning for my own room and bed. Sad, but true. The Cavalier is a big part of the problem, I think. For the price - I would consider one of the other places in Union Square.

Room Tip: Don't face the back - garbage collection will ruin your mornings. And steer clear of the gong s...
3 Thank Singleselfies
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear gettinoutthere,
Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review. We truly value it and learn from all of them. I can assure you that the entire team is passionately committed to provide a fabulous experience at Hotel Zetta and that your comments are taken very seriously and acted upon. I am delighted that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable environment, the location and the friendliness of the team.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly at benjamin.duverge@viceroyhotelgroup.com next time your travels bring you back to San Francisco and I will personally make sure that your stay exceeds your expectations.
Safe travels,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My family and I were staying in Los Angeles for a week and decided it would be a good idea to fly to San Francisco and stay there for one night. We wanted a cheap hotel, as it was only for one night. We found Hotel Zetta and decided it would be a reasonable place to stay. When we arrived, it was a quick and easy process of checking in and we immediately got our room key. The room was a pleasant, modern and moreover clean area. It was very different to any other hotel I have stayed in before in terms of the modern side of it. The hotel was in a very central place of the area, as the shopping centre Westfield was located a 2 minute walk away, where you can find lots of shops and a large food court. You could also get a tram down to another area of town where there is lots of restaurants and shops- which is good for night time. The hotel staff told us about things to do at night and what places to go to. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful towards our needs and overall, we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Zetta and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed in San Francisco for 6-days for vacation. Found this hotel by purchasing my stay through Hotwire.com. I would have never discovered this little gem of a hotel had I not used Hotwire.
Located just one block away from Market St, Hotel Zetta is an gorgeous, trendy hotel with a strong boutique vibe. The staff is always professional, friendly, and courteous - always greeting you by your name. The hotel beautifully boasts high levels of contempory art and design throughout and never feels anything less than luxurious. The lobby bar/lounge area always seems to be a happening gathering place. Considering the amount of money you would typically pay to stay here, the king bed rooms may be smaller than you might expect, but they are certainly big enough. After all, you aren't in San Fran to stay in your hotel room! The lobby also boasts a very cool game room with all type of activities and areas to hang out with your friends. You really have to see the space to appreciate it - It's definitely a one-of-a-kind amenity. Speaking of which, the hotel amenities are always technology centred with plenty of available outlets in the rooms for charging your devices. Each room also comes with a high-end LED Samsung Smart TV, which can be setup to stream contect wirelessly from your gadget of choice. Oh, and did I mention the complimentary WiFi that is available in the lobby AND in your room? The hotel has a popular restaurant called: The Cavelier, which may require a wait depending in the day and time you arrive. The restaurant is great for enjoying early morning coffee or meeting friends for dinner. Location of the hotel is just a block south of Market St. off of Fifth, which puts the hotel right near the Powell St. BART/Munie station and one of the historic cable car turn-arounds. I cannot say enough about this place. I was very pleased with my entire experience. The location alone
makes Hotel Zetta an incredible value. Give this place a chance and you will not be disappointed. Very nicely done, Viceroy.

• Stayed November 2013
Rocky River, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Zetta in San Francisco for a long weekend getaway. Upon arriving, the hotel lobby was modern and the use of amazing local artwork was really neat. The second floor had a large adult style game room with throw back video games, TVs and a uniquely appointed conference room. Hotel staff was accommadating and friendly. Rooms were super comfortable and clean. Location was convenient for grabbing a trolly car, taxi or walking to local destinations. Had a fabulous time and highly recommend this hotel, you will not be dissappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave F
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Dave F,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in and out of the hotel. You really seem to have enjoyed and used all that the hotel has to offer, specifically our very cool playroom on the second floor.
Please come back soon for more fun!