“Nice boutique hotel, great location near Union Square”
Review of Hotel Diva

Hotel Diva
Ranked #111 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Nice boutique hotel, great location near Union Square”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights, it was a mix of business and pleasure. We stayed on a nonsmoking floor and had to sign a form guaranteeing no smoking. They ask you to conserve towels, if you so desire. The fitness center is larger and better equipped than in many small hotels. The windows open in the room which is a huge plus for me (though maybe not if you have small children). Internet is free. There are attractive small meeting rooms. And the location is great. Staff was very pleasant and helpful also.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite on the 5th floor, which is nonsmoking. I don't believe we asked for it but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Rajalance,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Diva. Although you and your husband were here for business, I hope you had enough time to tour our beautiful city. I also hope you had the chance to enjoy the complimentary amenities we offer: lounges, business center, fitness center, wifi, perrier water service in the lobby and our sake hour from 5 to 7pm. The mexican bistro located in our lobby level, Colibri serves great food and divine margaritas too!

Hurry back to San Francisco. We would love to see you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pleasant Valley, California, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked 1 nite expressly to see the Musical showing directly across the street from the Diva. What a wonderful surprise to find the Diva exceeded our expectations. Fantastic Staff was always sincere in making our stay very comfortable. Extremely informative staff, especially Christian (Concierge) who was tremendously helpful. The King bed very comfortable and pillows were down filled, which provided a great nights sleep. (we did have an inside room) We are already recommending this hotel to our friends. Thank you again Diva staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Autumn A
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Autumn A,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Diva. I'm glad you had wonderful time while staying with us. I hope you had the chance to enjoy the complimentary amenities we offer: WIFI, business center, fitness center, tea lounge, perrier water service and sake hour in the lobby. On behalf of the entire Hotel Diva team, thank you for sharing your kind comments with Trip Addvisor. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

morada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our son once discovering that we needed to be in Oakland for meetings, offered up his season tickets for an evening of Warriors basketball. This allowed us to have wonderful evening watching basketball and at the same time we could after a short drive (instead of the 2 hour drive back home) spend an evening in San Francisco.
Once going to our trusty Trip Advisor and Hotel Tonite for the booking, we selected Hotel Diva. Relying on the reviews of our fellow Trip Advisors as the main reason for our selection.
Parking, with just a very short walk you could self park. However valet is convenient and not really that expensive and they have a no limit for in and out.
Front desk, very nice and wanting to help make your stay memorable.
Room that we had was on the 6th floor and faced Geary, that could be a negative possibly on a weekend however they do provide earplugs. I would suggest that before accepting your room you request off of Geary.
The room was clean and comfortable and small but really was not at all negative in any way.
Location, if your plans are to shop then it's location is prefect for that with Macy's and Union Square including Tiffany's just a short walk.
We have no problem recommending this hotel and given the opportunity will return.

Room Tip: Ask for rear or off Geary
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location can't be beat, and the whole staff were tremendous. While there was the disadvantage of a broken lift/elevator, we didn't mind the stairs to the 5 floor from time to time. The rooms are nicely modern appointed, very comfortable beds, and superb shower/bath.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a block and a half off of Powell right in the heart of the theater district. This area has really gotten better with far more life and far less shady characters ganging about than 10-15 years ago. There is an a blues club on the corner where John Lee Hooker was playing, lively latin restaurant below and lots of theaters across the way. We had a suite with a Queen bed and small adjacent sitting room with big flat screen TV and foldout bed. We were off the street and the room was surprisingly quiet. The bed felt old, lumpy with a distinct incline to the center. However the suite was spacious , extremely clever design touches and full of amenities. The bathroom was pristine and again , clever design touches. The staff were extremely accommodating as we arrived desperately and they handled it all very well. The valet parking was quick and $40 or $45 for a large vehicle. There is a Starbucks next door for a quick breakfast and lots of other choices nearby. Overall a good stay, but the suites at the Abri are bigger, nicer for families, closer to Powell and better beds. Not sure if I would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Gemma'smum,

Thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. I was surprised to hear that you found the bed in your room to be old and lumpy. I wish you can contact me and let me know which room you stayed in so I could personally check it. Hotel Diva gets a lot of good reviews in reference to bedding. Infact, I've had a number of guests call me to find out the brand of mattress we use. I'm so sorry to hear you had a different experience. I would also like to add that Hotel Diva has various suites: Studio Queen, Studio King, Executive King, Kids Suite and Suite Escape and the Atelier. I am absolutely sure one of our suites will meet your needs.

I really hope you would come back and stay with us again. Please contact me directly for reservations so we can very well accommodate you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a king room for a week in March after the staff member upgraded us from a queen room on arrival.

Pros

- the location is great for exploring SF. You are right at the doorstep of cable cars, buses, and shopping.
- The room was a very big space that included a lounge area as well as king sized bed. The bathroom was on the small side but had a separate sink area that I found handy. It was cleaned daily and the bed was very comfortable.
- good value for money compared to some of the other accommodation options we researched in this part of town.
- a good gym area that I used a few times during the week.
- the free sake each evening was a nice touch that I took advantage of a few times on my way out the door of an evening.

Cons
- the room was very cold all the time. There was a constant cold draught coming through the closed windows. There is a heater in the room, but this really played up with my allergies as it would make the room very stuffy.
- when we first arrived, our concierge recommended we buy a hop on, hop off 2 day ticket for about $50 each to get around. When we looked into it a bit further, we found that we were much better off buying the 7 day MUNI passport for $28 (all cable cars and buses). Not sure whether they work on some kind of commission with the hop on, hop off crew, but it would have been very expensive advice if we had followed it.

I would definitely recommend staying here just for the location alone.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear George_simon,

Thank for staying at Hotel Diva. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.The Hop on Hop off tour bus do cost a lot more because it does take you around town to specific tourist locations and spots. MUNI on the other hand is basically our public transportation system which will take you from point A to point B.

I hope you will think of us again on your next trip to San Francisco.

Richmond, VA
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Was looking for a boutique alternative, and it was mostly really nice. Had a junior suite with an interior view (does anyone really spend a lot of time staring out the window?) Others had complained about the noise (p.s. people you are not in the middle of the forest but in the center of a major city), did have about 1/2 hour of noise one nite with garbage pickup, oh well.

The room was nice, could have used more cabinet or shelf space, but was fine. The bed and linens were super comfortable, realllly wanted to steal the purple bed throw!!
They easily accommodated a 1pm late check out without extra charges.

The only downfall was the front desk knowledge of all/many things San Francisco. They were always pleasant, just not terribly helpful. One of the things I have enjoyed of smaller hotels is that the front desk can often offer great hints, suggestions, and tidbits about the city. That was not true here, they could offer few answers and at times had to be asked if they would look up info on the computer in front of them. Had to frequently say that I was not interested in the bus tours. After one employee answered a question, he pointed out to me the cards where you could write positive comments about the staff members. That was awkward.

Would stay here again, just do my own city research.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family