“Fantastic hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic staff and were happy to help with everything we needed ,which included ordering take out at midnight to be delivered back to the hotel! They recommend a fantastic pizza joint. Everyone comments on the location of the hotel, yes it is in an area where there are a lot of homeless but we never felt unsafe. As long as you keep to yourself, the homeless will as well. The room itself was perfect and had enough room for all our luggage. Would recommend to stay here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachelle B
Greetings Rachelle B,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your recent review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm glad to hear that my staff was able to provide excellent service and cater to your needs. There are lots of pizza delivery restaurants in San Francisco and i'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the one that they referred to you. I'm also pleased to hear that you never felt unsafe in the immediate area.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ann Arbor MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was exactly as I was led to believe from guest reviews except that the service from all of the staff was even better than I expected. They were personable, helpful, and knew exactly what information to provide to be most useful to tourists (which we were). The room was lovely, and there is an essentially unused rooftop lounge with comfortable seating and tables if you want to get takeout and bring it back for dinner. The included "continental" breakfast was hefty and all-you-can-eat--scrambled eggs, ham, cheese, potatoes, croissants, sourdough toast, cereals, yogurt, orange juice, and coffee/tea. The shuttle service to three main destinations was excellent, and a very wise thing for them to provide given the derelict surroundings. Only the faintest of heart need avoid this hotel because of the location, though. We learned that by walking up Polk or Larkin (rather than Hyde) from UN Plaza we could avoid almost all of the unpleasant areas. In big cities we try not to look like tourists and walk purposefully, and, in truth, what we were avoiding here was poverty, rather than anything terrifically dangerous. And to the people who commented on parking being an extra charge--leave your car at home! Parking is always extra in big cities and all of SF's public transportation--BART and the MUNI system (streetcars, busses, cable car)--are available just 4-5 blocks from the hotel in the UN Plaza area. It's quite easy to figure out and faster than driving in many cases, especially BART to the airports, Berkeley, and baseball games at AT&T Park and in Oakland.

Room Tip: Ours was on the third floor and looked out over the main entrance. Because it is only six floors, I...
Green Features: A separate waste can was provided in the room for recyclables. Towels were replaced daily rather than allowing them to be used again.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa L
Greetings Lisa L,

Being a top contributor here on TripAdvisor, i'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I'm very proud that my entire staff was able to exceed your expectations and
as you mentioned, personable and helpful. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, rooftop lounge, all you can eat continental breakfast and complimentary shuttle service. These are a few things to name that makes our hotel an excellent value while experiencing comfort at all times.

Thank you for your honest feedback of the immediate area. I'm glad that it did not bother your outlook of the hotel. The streets of San Francisco can change dramatically and i'm glad you were able to see it through. We always give the best directions to all our guests rest assured. I agree with your advise on not bringing a car in San Francisco. Public transportation in the city is extremely easy to use and take advantage of. Plus, we are also just 10 minutes of a walk away from downtown Union Square as you mentioned.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time in sharing your feedback of your experience with us. I'm sure that travelers reading this would appreciate this and help them decide and choose to stay with us in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

From the minute we got here it's been nothing but an amazing experience. Christian went above and beyond expectations and the rest of the staff was wonderful. Staff was informative and helpful and gave us many recommendations on what to do on our trip. Room is spotless and hotel has a great location near union square despite the homeless people. Would defintely recommend this hotel. Also the restaurant has delicious food and our waitress was delightful.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Michael M
Greetings Michael M,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with with us. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm very happy that Christian was able to stand out and make your stay at the hotel a great experience. Christian is one of our most recently hired employees. He is definitely a great addition to our team. I will make sure to share your comments to him. We hope that you found a home in us and continue to return as often as possible.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We asked to use the courtesy shuttle bus quite a few times but it was full or not running as it was a Sunday etc etc. hotel was adequate but location wasn't great, lots of homeless people around as church down the road helps them so they just wander around the area.

Stayed August 2014
Greetings TripAdvisor Member,

I'm glad to that you were satisfied with the service that my staff provided to you and that the hotels services and amenities were adequate to your needs. On the other hand, we do sincerely apologize that you were not able to take advantage of the shuttle service in some of the few days while staying with us. During summertime, our shuttle service is extremely popular so we always advise our guests to book and reserve at check in as early as possible.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff are lovely here and very helpful. We had breakfast included which comes as a voucher for the cafe next door and was very good. The room was nice but be warned if it gets hot, there is no air conditioning. There are a lot of homeless people and people you wouldn't necessarily want to spend your holiday with in the surrounding areas and the staff warned us about the Tenderloin, which is basically the area the hotel is in. You cant really walk around outside and need to use the free shuttle (if you can get in it - it was full one morning so we had to get a taxi). The only parking choice is valet only and at 24 dollars a day,very expensive.
The people who work at the hotel are definitely the best thing about the hotel and the rooms are basic and ok for the price.

Room Tip: Not really any tips for the best rooms as I only saw mine, but it was basic and comfortable and pret...
Green Features: I don't really know if they have an environmental policy except for the standard notice about not washing towels every day if we leave them on the rail.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
1 Thank MarieHenry2014
Greetings MarieHenry2014,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your review and for sharing your experience with us.

I'm happy to hear that my staff did an excellent job in making sure that you are well taken cared of. Though the location did not suite you that well, i hope that it did not diminish your outlook on your entire experience with us. In regards to the air conditioning in the rooms, unfortunately, we are one of the many hotels in the city that does not offer this. We also apologize that you were not able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service one morning. Our shuttle service is quite popular and does get full from time to time. At check in, we always advise our guests to book and reserve in advance as early as possible. As for the parking fee, we are actually one of the cheapest hotels in San Francisco that offer them. Our rates are very reasonable compared to the going rate in the city.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Nice clean hotel. comfortable beds with friendly helpful staff. Located in an Iffy part if the city a lot of homeless people on the streets surrounding it but the hotel work hard on making guest feel at ease like providing buses etc. Not much of a choice around for dinner.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Location
1 Thank gracetipp
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Greetings gracetipp,

I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate to your needs and provide excellent service by making sure that you felt safe and secure during your stay with us. Though the location did make you feel a little iffy, i'm still glad to hear that it did not diminish your view of the hotel.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again in the near future. When you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Most of all, you have staff that are willing to help and answer questions and point you in the right direction.

Other reviews will tell you about the surrounding area which is very true, there are a lot of homeless people (more so in this area that most other parts of town - it is called the 'tenderloin') so be ready to see some walking up and down the street. During the day we had no issues with safety, but at night, I would definitely be careful where you went right in the area.

The rooms themselves were very clean, beds were comfy, pillows were soft and the bathrooms were good size. Overall for the price we paid, we felt we got a good value for our money.

The staff is amazing. They were able to arrange trips, offer food suggestions and overall just provided a nice atmosphere to the hotel.

We used the shuttle (which was free) to get to other parts of town (both there and back) and then also used 'Uber' to get back to the hotel (usually at night). There are two Bart stations that are within a couple of blocks of the hotel, probably about a 10 minute walk to either, but you will have to traverse the homeless population to get to either of them.

The hotel was able to arrange a shuttle back to the airport on our departure for $15 per person and that is very reasonable for the distance (a taxi would probably run about $60 for 2 for comparisons sake).

Please note that there are no air conditioners in the rooms. We left our sliding door open and also used the provided fan and had no problem keeping the room cool.

We also got breakfast with the room each morning which was served buffet style in the adjacent restaurant. Food there consisted of eggs, toast, fruit, potatoes, meat (sausage/bacon), juice and coffee. The food tasted good and fresh and the service was good there as well.

We felt our room provided a good value in a good location that was close to a lot of the attractions.

So, would we stay here again? Probably. If I had younger children, I might think twice, but for just the two of us, we had no issues with the area.

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the street and then rooms that face another building (which is a brick wal...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank dadofgage
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Greetings dadofgage,

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you for giving us an in depth overview of your entire experience and also by providing tips and suggestions on this review. Other travelers reading this review would most certainly appreciate this. I'm proud to hear that my staff did an amazing job in providing excellent service and that you were also able to take advantage of the complimentary services and amenities we offered.