“Stylish and delicious”
Review of Amber

Amber
Reserve with OpenTable
Amber is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 4th & Market
Description: Amber India Restaurant embodies the spirit and essence of fine Indian cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, Amber India Restaurant takes Indian cuisine to a new culinary level, while still holding true to its traditional nuances. Much like the ambiance within the restaurant, Amber India’s cuisine is a mix of modern style with traditional roots. The delectable cuisine, the well paired wines, and the exotic cocktails are sure to indulge anyone’s senses. The split-level three-story restaurant can easily accommodate 140 people, with a private dining room in the back for up to 25 people. With its vaulted ceilings, stylish décor, and a constant LED light show behind the bar, Amber India Restaurant is truly a feast for both the mouth as well as the eyes.
Houston, Texas
“Stylish and delicious”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent modern Indian cuisine. Very flavoursome dishes, a twist on traditional favourites. Funky club-like atmosphere.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
“I found I do like Indian if it is GREAT Indian.”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not being a fan of Indian cuisine, I wasn't overly enthusiastic when friends in our group decided they were craving it. Amber has converted me. Tucked away behind the Coffee Bean, we had a hard time finding it, but it was a short walk from the Hilton. We had a brief wait in the bar before we could be seated. Great ambiance. Cucumber martini was refreshing and fabulous. Our server was skilled in making suggestions. I could have made a meal on the cauliflower and the fried spinach appetizers. The Nelli Vindaloo was a huge portion of tender lamb shank. Our server warned that it was on the spicey side, and it was, but it was delicious. The vegetarian in our group also has found his new favorite vegetarian Indian restaurant in San Francisco. Service was outstanding. The manager stopped by each table to make sure everyone was satisfied. It will be a must do restaurant stop next time I'm in SF.

• Visited March 2013
Owasso, Oklahoma
“So satisfying”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were meandering by and liked what we saw on the menu posted outside so we gave Amber a try. We were seated immediately in comfortable surroundings and our server was very nice. Asked her for a suggestion for a first-timer to the restaurant and she said right away not to miss the butter chicken. She was right....it was very good. Tasty chicken in the usual tomato based sauce with a swirl of butter on top. We had the plain and the garlic naan and we all preferred the plain. Rice was the usual pleasant tasting white grains you get at all Indian places. There were several vegetarian options, a nice wine list, and the tandoori chicken was good too. A little pricey, but if you're in the mood for Indian cuisine, this is a fine place to go.

• Visited March 2013
New York
“It was very good”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's been a while since I have had the opportunity to experience great Indian food. I am very happy to say that this place did not disappointed me. I believe the lunch buffet was on the expensive side. However I do believe it was worth it.

• Visited February 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fantastic food, ambiance & service”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I visited here with friends last summer. It was my first experience with authentic Indian food.
The restaurant has a great ambiance & was full when we visited.
We ordered butter chicken, lamb, & many other dishes. Everything was absolutely fantastic!
We had friend with us that grew up eating traditional Indian dishes & she was equally impressed with the food.
The service was wonderful & attentive.
We cannot wait to visit again!

• Visited July 2012