“Awaken your senses as you dine in dark”

No photo provided
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Gough Street
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Mocha was the ultimate hostess as she guided us through this intimate dining experience. Mocha has worked here for five years and her experience showed as she ensured we had an exceptional fun meal. Warning, there is no light!! It is subterrain dark; however,,within no time, you figure out where the food/drink is and just let your senses guide you.. Mocha was present and attentive however, left us alone so we could enjoy each others company. PS The food was amazing - 5 courses of delicious, decadent culinary delights! This is a must do if you are going to SF!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We enjoyed a very unique and fun experience here. We love that all of the servers are visually impaired. The food was not the best we've ever eaten but it was very good food and the quantity was generous. Our server Mocha was awesome and made sure that we had everything we needed. Service in general was a little slow (specifically waiting on entrees and dessert), which was no problem for us because we were in no rush and were enjoying each other's company, but consider this when planning. We went on a Thursday night when the price is $79 per person vs. the usual $99. If you are expecting a gourmet meal with speedy service, try someplace else, but if you want an interesting and unique experience definitely give it a try.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Originally I thought that only in San Fran would you actually pay someone to turn off the lights while you are eating. Then learned that not only is this a chain, but that the concept behind it is really neat. The restaurant serves to promote the interests of the visually impaired, both by offering employment opportunities and giving those with sight a small glimpse into life without sight. It's brilliant, different, and great food to boost.

We both chose to do the "mystery" options and that was a real riot. We both tried my husband's entree and agreed it was some of the best steak we'd ever had. It was pork. We thought my "chicken" was juicy and tender. It was swordfish. Are you laughing yet?

I lost my shoe at one point and was afraid to get up and find it because I wasn't totally certain I could find my seat again. I also spilled water on myself (wear black, biggest tip),but otherwise I was amazed at how my senses were affected by the lack of sight. The food's taste and texture was highlighted. And it was really good food.

It was a great night, perfect for our anniversary dinner. More like a show and dinner for the entertainment value. Our reservations were for 7:30 and by 8:30 we were through the four courses and up top again. The bill was the only wince factor. The per person rate is $99, but add in one cocktail each, tax, and tip and it hit $300 fast.

1  Thank annikalibby
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Food is mediocre, nothing special. I'm paying a lot to sit and eat in the dark. Could have done that at home .

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Opaque was certainly the most unique dining experience I've ever had. It's PITCH black inside! The service was amazing. The food was average. In a "regula restaurant" the food would be nothing special. But, in the context of the dark, you experience the food in a whole different way. All in all, Opaque is an experience worth doing - but don't expect the food to knock your socks off.