“Chinese food and tea lessons”
Review of Chinatown

$69.00*
Chinatown and North Beach Night Walking Tour
$75.00*
and up
San Francisco at Night: Segway Tour of North Beach, Chinatown and the...
Ranked #59 of 550 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This electric neighborhood of 100,000 people is not to be missed, and it's not hard to find: listen for the clack of mahjongg tiles and nose out the salty spicy squid.
Orlando, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Chinese food and tea lessons”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Parking was a challenge. My suggestion is head to the financial district and walk to Grant Avenue.

The street is very crowded so many pedestrians. Waiting to get a picture at the gate was a necessary tourist so for us, but it was a hassle. Cross the street and wait for traffic to clear to get a good shot.

We ducked into a restaurant to experience Chinatown Chinese food. It was good but not great. I wish you better luck.

The best experience was the TenRen tea shop closest to the lion's gate. The women in there gave us a lesson in tea preparation and serving. My wife was so impressed she purchased loss leaf tea and a pot to brew it in.

Honestly it was a good time.

The biggest negative was some of the local kids and their fireworks. They would throw them in the ground at pedestrians feet and laugh when they jumped We felt it was time to leave.

As with any big city I recommend walking in a group. No one goes anywhere alone. Keep your valuable close to your person and be discrete with cash transactions.

It was worth the visit. I don't plan on returning. Learning about Chinese customs with tea was interesting. Traffic, parking and the crowds were discouraging.

1 Thank Baysinger

• Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
195 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 368 helpful votes
“Decent place for sightseeing”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

But great place to buy cheap souvenirs and eat amazingly great Chinese food. I bought my postcards on my first day in SF here in Chinatown. And ate wonderful Hunan food. And ate wonderful cocktail buns from my favorite Chinese bakery. Spend an hour or so wandering the streets of Chinatown, eat at one of the many restaurants, and buy your souvenirs.

Visited May 2013
Chicago
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A nice little get away”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were in SF for the day and decided to stop in Chinatown before going over to the wharf. Lots of shops and places to eat. It was fun to walk up and down in. There are some really interesting stores. We took some awesome photos here as well.. Some cool street art in alleys on the buildings, some cool architecture. Didn't eat here as we were planning on having lunch at the wharf although I did get a bubble tea which was very fresh!

Kaukauna, Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“China town just like the movies”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Basically city streets with Chinese shopping and eating. Kind of dirty in spots. Worth seeing and within walking distance from the Wharf and BART which is cool.

“Dsapointing”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A bit boring. We went to one in KL that was soo MUCH better. Don't bother. The foods dw my whole family siq