“Hidden gem”
Review of Anchor and Hope

Anchor and Hope
Reserve with OpenTable
Anchor and Hope is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Second Street
Transit: Montgomery Station for Bart and Muni riders.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Recommended by our hotel. Good location, great food, especially the seafood! Staff extremely knowledgeable about the wine, clean facility, efficient service. Not an intimate romantic place, just fun and lively! Perfect for a meal with friends!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have been to Anchor and Hope two times. My review is based upon both visits - which are remarkably similar. On the plus side, the service staff are outstanding - very warm and friendly. On the negative side, the food is expensive - it takes forever for the food to come out of the kitchen - and the food, is well, uneven. I was hoping for a great seafood experience. I did not have it either time. What I left with was a very pricey tab and the feeling that my albacore tuna steak was cooked "well" on half and the promised "rare" on the other. The ambiance is great - so if that's what you want, you won't be disappointed. However, buyer beware. BTW - they only serve beer and wine!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were in San Francisco for our wedding anniversary and were recommended this restaurant as it was close to our hotel. Fortunately we had mentioned that it was our anniversary when we booked, as we were greeted with a warm smile and complimentary glass of bubbly. This restaurant is not about intimate dining - the atmosphere is fun and lively - but they reserved one of the quieter tables for us on the side of the room where we could still enjoy the atmosphere and have a little privacy as well - perfect for the occasion. The menu is dominated by seafood - oysters are a speciality. The wine list is extensive with a selection of both local and international wines. We had the cerviche and angels on horseback for appetizers - both excellent. For entrees we had the trout and the tuna. The tuna was very good but the trout was a standout. We shared a delicious banana pudding dessert, which came out with a candle and congratulations message written on the plate in chocolate. It was these nice little touches and attention to detail which made the evening special. All in all - great food and great service made for a great night out and a memorable wedding anniversary dinner.

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The servers and sommelier were extremely friendly from the first moment to the last. The wine list was concise and had a good mix of European and American wines, some of which were a nice surprise. I was especially excited about the uni appetizer because I've heard it is delicious and let me say that I was definitely not disappointed. It was the right amount of flavor and texture and it was delicious. The octopus with chorizo and white beans were also delicious. The chorizo was thinly sliced and had a good crunch to it and the beans had a yummy creaminess. Unfortunately, the octopus was just a moment overdone and was a little hard to the bite but the flavors were spot on. The crab with vermicelli was a seasonal dish and sounded really good. It was. Light on the spicy, but I liked that, and super flavorful. If there is one thing that this place does well, it would be flavor. If there were two, then add service to it as well. Going back for seconds!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Went for dinner and really enjoyed the seafood. The place is relatively dark and I felt the service was a little slow. Worth the wait and I would go back again.