Tripadvisor

from $35.95
from $245.00
from $395.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 22, 2019

To happen upon a light and airy space one block from MOMA. Free. 3 floors of the great Helen Frankenthaler's work. Wow. What a treat! If in the vicinity check out this gallery.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed October 1, 2017

Other than SFMOMA, this gallery seems unconventional and unexpected. It is not a museum and no fee is charged to view the art which is all for sale. I happened to meet one of the owners and she was most kind and welcoming, as was the rest of the staff. The art on display changes with different collections being shown during the year, so you cannot really be certain to see a particular artist or work. It may be sold, as well as not being on display. It was a very interesting way to pass an hour, and not well known so there are no crowds. I enjoyed spending time in this gallery and would return the next time I am in town.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank AnitaNewportBch
Reviewed February 27, 2017 via mobile

I don't think people realise it's there, I had the place to myself and wandered round taking my time over each picture. If you're interested in art it's well worth popping in. Completely free and a great way to see a real Picasso without battling vast crowds of people.

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank baby_rhino1984
Reviewed January 30, 2017

The new Berggruen Gallery just opened in January of 20l7. Located in San Francisco, near MOMA , it is a lovely gallery that has three levels in a modern interior filled with light. The gallery features prominent artists and artwork with an initial show entitled “ The Human Form,” which will run through March 4th. ” From Picasso to Matisse, and beyond really, the show includes sculpture as well as paintings. Hopper, Thiebaud, Matisse and Henry Moore are some of my favorite artists, so it was a pleasure to view works I had not seen before. Open to the public, it is a gallery, not a museum, and there is no admission charge. Definitely worth seeing this assemblage of early 20th century and beyond gives us an overview of some of the best artists in works that have been carefully chosen to showcase a variety of styles, connected to the human form. Include this fine gallery in your next visit to San Francisco. You will be pleased with the art and the interior of the building as well.

Date of experience: January 2017