“Superb trip, John the guide was top notch”
Review of Napa Tour Shuttle

Napa Tour Shuttle
More attraction details
Owner description: Wine Country Tour Shuttle, with its Super High 94% TripAdvisor Rating Score operates from San Francisco to either Napa or Sonoma. We encourage wine lovers to go on both our Wine Country Tours because the different wine regions are so uniquely different. Our Napa Experience Tour visits 4 wineries and has a picnic lunch and a 50-minute relaxing ferry cruise included. See the reviews below to see how well the picnic lunch and the ferry cruise is so well received. The Sonoma Experience Tour (local favorite tour) is new for us and has great reviews below because we picked 2 fantastic wineries, plus we put together a walking map of Sonoma square where guests can get one free pour at each location. Wine Country Tour Shuttle received the 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award.
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Must do activity, great tour guide who gave a lot of good information. Vineyards were stunning and food and wine throughout was superb

All reviews
in 79 reviews
"vineyards"
in 105 reviews

Reviewed June 17, 2009

If you haven't done many wine tours, this is an excellent first or second experience. John was a great tour guide. He provided a lot of information and even gave us some great restaurant recommendations for when we returned to SF. Domaine Chandon was beautiful and hearing about how they make sparkling wine was interesting. V. Sattui was a fun experience. We did the $5 tasting and the guy gave us about 9 tastes. The deli was good and the grounds were nice for a picnic. Flora Springs was basically a wine bar and not that impressive, but was fine for a quick tasting. The Andretti winery was very beautiful and John told us more about the grape growing process. We had 40 people on the tour - a lot, but it seemed to work okay. I would suggest sitting toward the front of the shuttle and on right side so you get the great views of Sausalito on the way to Napa. Also, good to be first off bus to get in line first at V. Sattui deli and be first in line for restrooms (since they are pretty scarce at the last two stops). If you know a lot about wines, maybe these aren't high quality wineries, but if you are newer to wine tasting and just enjoy tastings and being with some fun people at beautiful places, this is perfect. It was a very fun trip with my sister.

1  Thank TravelGirls11
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We did the Wine Country shuttle tour and I would do it again.

The shuttle bus was scheduled to leave the ferry building at 8:30. We loaded up and were on our way. After about 5 minutes I looked at my watch and it wasn't even 8:30 yet. One thing though, most shuttles I have been on only hold about 10 people. Wine Country Shuttle tours advertises that they have smaller groups because the use shuttles rather than coach busses. However these are not normal sized shuttles, they hold about 35-40 people, and ours was full except for 2 seats. So much for small groups.

So anyway we are starting our tour and the first part is a quick tour of SF. Our tour was done by Eric, who kept us entertained with both stories and his knowledge of the city and wines.

Our first stop was at V Sattui, which i agree was the best place on the stop. We hade about 90 minutes to taste, eat, and relax here. The place is also landscaped very nicely.

For the tastings they have 2 menues. You can pay 5.00 for 6 tastes of the lower priced wines or 10.00 dollars for 6 of the more expensive. We opted for 2 of the 5.00 tastings and shared. this way we were able to taste all 12 wines, plus Tracy (our pourer) threw in a couple of the higher priced wines. One of the higher priced wines she let us taste, a 2008 Mocato sparkling wine was very good and we bought a bottle for 25.00.

Also at V. Sattui we were given 10.00 coupons to use towards lunch. We combined our coupons and recieved a delicious turkey and cranberry sandwich, a pound of chicken and almond salad, and a wedge of brie cheese. All of it was very good and after using our food coupons we only had to come up with another 32 cents. We went out to their picnic area and enjoyed our yummy lunch.

This was the only place that I saw anyone buying any wines, and just about everyone on the tour bought some.

Our next stop was Domaine-Chandon. This one I could have passed on and not cared. We are told it is 7.00 for the winery tour and 10.00 for the tour and the tasting. We opted for the tour and tasting.

The tour was a joke. It was lead by Mark, who was either drunk already or just plain obnoxious. As for the tour he showed us some stainless steel vats and said there was wine in them and then told us how they turn wine into sparkling wine.

On to the tasting. We tasted three of their white sparkling wines. I did not care for any of them.

The next stop was Andretti Winery where it was 10.00 to taste 4 wines. We bought one tasting and shared it. The wines were okay but nothing to get excited about.

Finally we went to Black Stallion Winery. Here it was only 5.00 to taste 4 wines. It was hard to really tell how the wines were because the person thast was pouring for us was rushing. We would barely have the glass up to our lips and he would be starting the next one.

I did buy a bottle of chocolate cabernet wine sauce, which was very good and priced at 40% off.

For the most part I would say that at all four wineries we had more than enough time to taste, shop, and relax.

At 3:00 we all got back on the bus and drove to the ferry . This may have been boring or nice, i dont know because i took a little nap to sleep off some of the wine.

The ferry ride was nice as we got to see SF from the water and cruised right past Alcatraz.

We arrived back at the ferry building in SF at about 5:00 just like we were supposed to.

I definitely recommend this tour as we had a good time. But that could all change if you have a bad tour guide or a bunch of obnoxious fools on the tour with you. We were lucky and did not have either

1  Thank Steve32123
Reviewed May 19, 2009

First of all, this tour could be good or bad, it depends on your tour-mates. Unfortunately for us, we did not have good tour-mates. Better than half of our group went on this tour to bar-hop and get smashed - period. As the day progressed they just got louder, more intollerable, and mis-behaved, and at times lewd. When we finally got to Vallego and boarded the boat home, one young lady was so drunk that she couldn't walk. She fell on me, then crawled her way to the bar and ordered shots! The bar felt it was OK to continue serving them. Later, after we arrived back in San Francisco, we were walking up the Embarcadaro, and saw the group of them lying on the sidewalk. What can I say.

The "tour". First we arrived at Domaine Chandon. Just as we arrived we were told that the wine tasting was $10 (ok, we new that). Seeing it was too early in the morning for me to start drinking, (about 9:30 am) I opted to not go to the wine tasting. But we were then told if we didn't want to participate in the wine tasting, that it was still going to cost $7 additional for the tour. Excuse me, I just paid $95 for a "tour" of the wine country. Now you are trying to hit me up for another $7 for the "tour". Beautiful place, tour not worth $7, too early in the morning.

Next stop, V Sattui. A beautiful place. The web site insures us that we will have a full 90 minutes for a relaxing lunch, and not be rushed. It also states that your lunch coupon can be used for the wine tasting. That information is incorrect on all accounts. We had barely an hour - it took 25 minutes to wait in line for lunch, had to rush through eating, which gave us about 15 minutes to go to the wine tasting room and gift shop. Not enough time to even taste half the wines let alone learn anything, they were just quickly pouring, and on to the next person. No Tour here, non offered. Just, eat, pay $10, drink, hurry, and get on the bus.

Next stop, across the street, Flora Springs. Now this was a complete waste of my time. It was just a bar! No vinyards, no tour, just a bar. And having to just sit there for 40 minutes and just drink was not my idea of a wine tour. We wanted to just go back across the street to V Sattui to the gift shop and to finish our wine tasting, but we were not allowed to cross the street (boy did I feel like a scolded kid). Again, pay your $10, drink and get on the bus.

Next stop, Andretti Winery. Again a beautiful place. Great wines. Again no tour. Again just pay your $10, drink. Our travel mates were as rude as ever, just grabbing the wine bottles and glasses, not listening to a thing, and of course made it impossible for you to hear or learn anything. I was a bit fed up at this point with them, but was able to steel away and talk to the host about the wines and the winery. He was very gracious and understanding.

Also the statement on the web page about "some wineries waiving their tasting fees if you purchase wine, also not true - don't expect it, they don't do it.

My personal suggestion would be to rent a car, take the beautiful drive up to Napa, pick a couple wineries and visit them at your leisure. Do stop at V Sattui for lunch, the deli has some great food, but it costs more then your $10 coupon will cover from the tour. The tour guide offered very little information, just a bunch of stories of his experiences. You could then get the real feel and understanding of the different vinyards and have a very enjoyable day trip by renting a car - and not be rushed by the tour's crazy schedule. That's what I am going to do when I go back.