“It's A Decent Gallery”

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
Book In Advance
More Info
$234.88*
and up
Private Tour: San Francisco Sightseeing - 3 Hour
Ranked #26 of 535 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SFMOMA is one of San Francisco’s must-see destinations, located within walking distance of Union Square. Explore seven floors of extraordinary art, including world-class exhibitions, the largest living wall in the U.S., and breathtaking city views from outdoor gardens and terraces. Save time and pre-purchase tickets (admission is free for visitors 18 and under), or reserve a unique private guided tour experience in advance. Free public tours and audio guides are available onsite.
Las Vegas, Nevada
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 420 helpful votes
“It's A Decent Gallery”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

There are some phenomenal pieces on display from unknown, new artists. If you are going expecting to see a lot of the modern "classics" or more established, big name artists, you'll be disappointed in the SFMOMA. If you want to gain exposure to new and exciting artists, this is the place to do it. The layout of this museum is a little confusing and the atmosphere is cold and unpleasant. Modern doesn't have to mean lifeless. The galleries are nice with well presented information and lots of seating for lengthy contemplation.

The rooftop patio is a nice place to chill but watch out in the cafeteria -- they have signs all over saying "no outside food and drink" and they mean it. I had a low carb protein bar in my bag and I took it out to munch on (I purchased a coffee at the cafeteria) and not two seconds after I opened the wrapper, a security guard with a very nasty attitude came over to chastise me for bringing food in the museum. I hadn't even take a BITE of my snack and she went what could nearly be described as "nucking futs." I ended up going in the bathroom and eating my snack in there. I purchased a drink there but I need a sugar free / low carb snack option and the museum cafe offered nothing that would work with my dietary restrictions.

The museum is close enough to a BART station, making it easy to get in and out of the city. It's only a couple of blocks walking distance.

Visited July 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Interesting and Accessible”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Went with my girlfriend (now wife) on a 4 day SF trip. She is a much more avid cultural/museum goer than I am but we both really enjoyed both the building itself as well as the exhibits. Check on the rotating exhibits depending on when you visit.

Visited March 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Right up my alley”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I loved SFMOMA! I fell in love with all of the Diego Rivera and Andy Warhol pieces there.

My BF did not dig it - he said it was too artsy so my time there was cut short. I would definitely go there by myself next time or with someone that's a bit more "artsty", take your time there's lots to see!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Aundrayac
Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“World Class Art Gallery/Museum”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have had the pleasure of visiting MOMA in both NYC and SF. The time spent in these museums counts as some of the high points of my life. I cannot recommend enough that a visitor to either city takes an afternoon to lose themselves in MOMA, exploring the treasures on offer. The exhibits are diverse, the presentation is flawless, and the atmosphere is something to be treasured.

My favourite of the two? Perhaps I am biased to San Francisco, having met my wife there! However, I think MOMA in San Fran *just* pips NYC to the post.

Don't take my opinion for it. Visit them BOTH!

Visited February 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic museum”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is one of the best art galleries I have been to. Had amazing exhibitions and a large range of artwork including sculptures and photographs. Could definitely spend all day here. The staff are extremely helpful and kind.

Visited January 2013