“good times great drinks”
Review of Bourbon and Branch

Bourbon and Branch
Ranked #171 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“good times great drinks”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Loved the cocktails! decor, service all great. Saw other review complaining about waitstaff, people need to lighten up! Our server was an absolute doll!!! Neighborhood is shady-business but made for fun entrance. Also, loved having password/reservation entry. My husband knocked, I gave password and she brought us in, then he said 'we have reservations' to which she replied with 'as noted by your having the password' - me and the other couple we were with cracked up under our breath and my husband felt a little sheepish but got over it quickly with a nice scotch. The couple in front of us didnt get in because no reservations, granted there were seat open, but its the freaking point... make a damn reservation!! I loved it and could have stayed all night but jetlag and some serious booze knocked us out pretty quickly. I'd go back in a hearbeat. Check it out - as long as you arent a jerk and/or dont take yourself too seriously and are ready to have major alcohal..

Visited October 2012
9 Thank Mcap5

New York City, New York
“Nice place, just ok cocktails”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I definitely enjoyed the night at Bourbon and Branch. The place is beautiful and music is great. Drinks a good but stay away from the mixed drinks- unless you like very, very, VERY sweet things. stick to the wines, sprits, etc...

Warning- no food so eat ahead of time.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Eleni_17
Waterloo
“Great atmosphere, strong drinks”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We read about this place online and decided to make a reservation for a table. It was pretty easy to find and we booked for 2 hours (the maximum) figuring if we didn't like it we could always leave earlier than that. The atmosphere was really cool. It is based on a speakeasy and had lots of people the same age to us there (20's and 30's).

It was dark with a candle on the table to read the drinks list. Normally this would add to this atmosphere, but we maybe shouldn't have booked to go there our first night in San Fran since we were jet lagged and tired. Reservations are definitely recommended if you want to get into the one area of the bar that has the tables. Once your time is up you can finish your drink and if you want, order more, in a main bar area. This was packed and had a line up outside to get in.

The drinks are very strong. They are expensive but clearly you are getting a good cocktail. One thing to note is that most of the drinks are based on bourbon or gin. Not being a huge fan of either (more of a vodka girl) this very much limited my choice.

Also as others may have noted there isn't any food here. Make sure you do not expect any "nibbles" to help cushion the strong drinks-have food before you get there. It is booze only.

Overall though it was still a really cool place to go and a fun night out. The area of town was just on edge of sketchy so it's not someplace I would hang around later. My husband and I were fine though and just booted out of that area (on foot) once we were done.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Dave-n-Theresa
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
“Not so good on our second trip!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

The first time we went to this boutique bar we loved it! You had to give a password through a little hole in the door to get in and they had hidden doors to go to back rooms like an original speakeasy! This time a year later, a waiter pops his head out an open door asks for a password then asks for our names we reserved under, asks the hostess in side and then let's us in as he keeps the door wide open and asks another couple their name! They sat us 5 feet from the entrance door that was continuously opening for the first hour of our hour and a half visit. There was a guy on a cell phone ( a house rule no-no) and it was loud. I honestly would maybe try it one more time before I write it off my list of places to go forever! Very sad!

lasalle
“Wilson & Wilson”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I made a reservation after reading a trip review here. We had a reservation for 1&1/2 hours but luckily it was a slow night and we were able to stay longer and have a few more drinks. The drinks are amazing and very entertaining to watch them being made. even the ice cubes are unique! The atmosphere is very intimate. We were even able to get a tour of the basement and the other rooms thanks to our bartender. I would highly recommend this bar to anyone looking for an unusual and unique experience.

• Visited October 2012