“A must to do”

$240.00*
San Francisco Private Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #13 of 569 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1873, cable cars have run up and down the hilly city, though after the 1950s, these cars have been kept in operation more out of historic nostalgia. Seventeen miles of track remain and have been deemed a historical landmark.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The best way to see different neighbourhoods of San Francisco is on the cable cars. It was really good fun to go up and down the steep hills and a ride to remember.

Write a ReviewReviews (18,916)

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Riding the cable cars was great! We purchased a day pass which allowed us to ride as many cars in that day as we wanted, and we treated it as a sightseeing adventure, riding all of the lines to get a good overview of the city. All of our "gripmen" were very entertaining along the way as well, providing us with historical facts, sometimes a song and pointing out landmarks. If you choose to get on at one of the main roundabouts where they turn the cars, be prepared for a long wait to board a car. You may get on quicker if you walk a block or two to another stop, but you could also get passed by if the cable car is full. The Cable Car Museum, which is located near one of the lines, is a very interesting place to visit as well, and you can learn all about the history of the cable cars, plus see the actual gears working to pull the cables that run throughout the city to operate the cars. They have a nice gift shop there as well. I would not count on the cable cars to get me to a destination quickly or at a specific time, but if your time is a little flexible, they are a lot of fun to ride!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Cable car is a unique experience and a must do for anyone who comes to San Francisco. You can sit or stand up, the Cable Car drivers are funny. You can take it from different places but I would recommended to go from end to end and you can do all 3 routes with a day ticket which you can also use for trams and buses.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

If your in San Fran, you must do this at least one time...It's a nice break from cabs, or buses. Also, you get to tour through some of the quaint Neighborhoods of SF. Plan on extra time, not the fastest form of transportation.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I went to San Francisco, with my daughter. Her neurosurgeon here in Tulsa had recommended University of California, San Francisco, as the best place for her second brain tumor surgery. There wasn't much time for sight seeing, but on our last day there she insisted that I go to Lombard Street, which had special meaning to me because of my late husband's time there. I rode the bus from the Queen Anne Hotel to Lombard street then this 73 year old woman CLIMBED to the top where people come to see if they can navigate down the hill without having to stop and re adjust. It was a glorious sight, the bay in the distance and from one angle you could see Alcatraz. I knew that I had to get back to the B&B to help my daughter prepare for our return to Oklahoma so I was just about to start back down the hill when the dinging of a Cable Car caught my attention and I knew that I may never get the chance again, so I "hopped" on and ask if they would be crossing Sutter St. where I could catch the bus back to the Queen Anne. What a joy! What a thrill for this old Okie gal to get to see Lombard St. and ride on San Francisco's fabled Cable Cars all in one day. Both are a MUST when you get a chance to leave your heart in San Francisco.