“something to do in SF”

$240.00*
San Francisco Private Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #13 of 562 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1873, cable cars have run up and down the hilly city, though after the 1950s, these cars have been kept in operation more out of historic nostalgia. Seventeen miles of track remain and have been deemed a historical landmark.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We took a very short ride up California avenue from the Embarcadero turnaround; $6 each one way to go up the hill and another $6 to come down. Something to do since you are in San Francisco. Get on early so that you can hang on the outside (if you are physically able) or be on one of the outside seats to get the full experience

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is well worth doing, part of the history of SF and easy to hop on and off, especially when you've been on a long walk and need some help getting back up the hill!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

One of the highlights of our trip was buying a day pass for the Cable Cars and then making the most of it! We used them to get around that day and also just rode them for the fun of it! My kids had SO much fun hanging off the side and didn't ride sitting down once. After I got over the initial fear of them falling off, it was a blast. I sat by a couple from England who joked that this would never be allowed there for safety reasons. I replied I was surprised it was here, but glad it was. The California line was the best fun, and we almost had it to ourselves a couple of times. Don't miss riding while in SF and hang off if you can!

1  Thank zimaaaaah
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was desperate to ride the cable car, you just have to when visiting SF, however we queued for over an hour on one occasion and all passing cars were full, so we ended up walking up the hills instead. Another time the queue was so long, we just walked. Finally, I refused to walk, but had to queue for over an hour again before I got my space. It has to be done but my advice would be to get up really early and get the ride over and done with!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I took a cable car ride from Ghiradelli Square to Union Square and back again. It's the quintessential "thing to do" in San Francisco, and we're glad we did it. My husband hung off the side and loved that. I was content with my seat inside. Our driver was entertaining with his unique way of ringing the cable car bell, plus he was very jovial. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the housing, the businesses and just the view going up and down the steep San Francisco hills. It was only $14 per person. Definitely, you should do this.