“Tender Tuna”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Pacific Heights
Neighborhood: Pacific Heights
Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you like tender toro, hit Tatki. It's small, so it gets crownded early on. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

We walked in and had to wait for about a minute before being sat at the sushi bar. We ordered drinks and were enjoying our cocktails while a table was cleared and a server asked us if we'd like to move to a table, since there was 3 in our party.
Our server was super attentive and receptive to our every need. We ordered about 5 rolls and edamame. The sushi came super fast while the edamame came last, my only complaint. All the sushi was great, my favorites included the spicy tuna, california, and crunchy california.
We hung out for about 30 minutes after finishing and our server filled our water's and made sure we were cool.
The best touch was a small cucumber in out water. Not expecting much I was blown away by our whole experience. Thank you Tataki for being a shocker, we will be back!!!

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Lonely Planet's California Guide recommended this little sushi place, so we decided to give it a try. We were there quite early, between 5 pm and 5.30 pm, so we were the first ones there. Still, after one hour, the place was full (after a while there was even a line outside).

The place had a good atmosphere, and the staff were really nice and enthusiastic. They are into sustainable fish, which gives them a star in my book (and the Michelin Guide as well). The sushi was really good, with new combinations we haven't tried before. I would especially recommend the "specialty rolls", like "mix-it-up" and "green dragon".

When we left we both agreed that this was our best sushi experience ever.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've been meaning to go to this neighborhood spot for quite some time. I'm still wishing we had waited....
We went for lunch and quickly realized it is not your typical sushi place. Tataki uses only sustainable fish in their restaurant - I love the idea, but the food was bland and uninspired. Granted we were there during lunch and the menu is slimmed down, but overall I was left wanting more. The noodle bowls did look good, but we stuck with sushi only. The sashimi was bland (maguro, scallop and something called faux-nagi fake unagi?)...the one standout was the shrimp-tempura roll. I loved the little crispies they put on the top of the roll.
We spent $60 and had 6 pieces of sashimi, one roll, one large Sapporo and an $3.00 ice tea (wow). I think there are much better sushi places in the neighborhood = and certainly in the City.

Reviewed April 12, 2010

Friends who live in the city told us about this place! We were tipped off to come early-ish, so at 5:30 we showed up and got a table with no waiting. They don't take reservations and it's really quite small. Lovely music on the sound system, BTW.
We had the calimari appetizer, which we all loved. Then lots of sashimi, nigiri, rolls, and two different salads. The Ocean Salad and the Seaweed Salad were slightly different, both good. Ocean Salad had a little bit chewier seaweed (or maybe it was kelp?)
For drinks we tried some sake, and even the sake punch, which had sliced strawberries in it.
Desserts were super - there was a green tea cheesecake, which amazed all of us. Also tried the mochi-wrapped ice cream. This was 8 little mochi-balls, so it was fun to share among the four of us.
Our server was well-versed in all the sustainable seafood. She explained the faux-unagi. It seems that freshwater eel is not the most sustainable thing around, so they use a substitute. It wasn't identical but really good anyway.
The only possible downside here is the lack of parking close by. Luckily it was a lovely day, so walking 4 or 5 blocks over to Bush street wasn't an issue. (My friends who live in the city actually took the bus to get there.) Another good reason to eat an early dinner, I guess - walk while it's still light out and enjoy the lovely neighborhood!