“Great Food And Experience”

Fog Harbor Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Fog Harbor Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Embarcadero
Transit: F-line,10 & 15 stops right in front of PIER 39. BART: 510.465.2278 MUNI & Cable Cars: 415.673.6864 Alameda/Oakland Ferry: 510.522.3300 Vallejo Ferry: 415.705.5444 Sausalito & Tiburon Ferry: 415.705.5444
Description: It has been said that "no visit to San Francisco is complete without a meal at Fog Harbor Fish House!" Fog Harbor Fish House offers the quintessential San Francisco waterfront dining experience and was the first 100% sustainable seafood restaurant in Fisherman's Wharf. The classic, cozy dining room features award-winning panoramic views of the Golden Gat Bridge and Alcatraz. Owned and operated by the Simmons Family, the founding family of PIER 39, you'll meet a member of the family when you dine!
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I loved this restaurant. The food was excellent and the prices are commensurate with the quality. We were treated first class and the service was excellent. We felt we were in a classy place and in no way felt it was a tourist trap. Highly recommend the steamed clams and the garlic Dungeness crab paired with a Pinot Noir. You won't regret it, I assure you.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,799)

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stopped in after exploring San Francisco and more specifically Pier 39 on a Sunday night. Had seen the numerous "excellent ratings" and thought we can't go wrong here. Wrong! The calamari
seasoned with lemon and served with
lemon aioli ($12) as an appetizer was pretty good, and as it turned out it became my dinner. My companion had a cup of the clam chowder ($6) and said it was quite tasty. For her entree she had the King Salmon - grilled and served on a bed of roasted corn, red peppers, fingerling potatoes ($32). Seemed to just be thrown together haphazardly, but despite the chaotic look it was quite good. I unfortunately ordered the crab cake entree, which consisted of
2 large cakes, cajun remoulade, french fries,
and cole slaw ($21). They looked like brown hockey pucks and tasted like sawdust. I could only manage two bites - should have not taken the second, but wanted to give it a real chance. The coleslaw was overly wet. The waiter was a bit slow and did not ask what we thought of the food until the check arrived. He then slipped away and spoke to his manager because a few minutes later he (the manager) came over and tried to explain the differences between west coast and east coast crab, saying the west is not as sticky as the east and that is why they need to add other stuff to it to make it stick together. I am sure that is true, but it was repulsive. I was not expecting to get the charge for this dish taken off our bill, but the manager did and that was appreciated. Overall, there were some glimpses of this place being "very good" but absolutely no evidence of excellence. I just do not get what others are seeing to give such ratings. I will not go back.

1  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We visited Fog Harbor at Pier 39 on the advice of our hotel's concierge. We arrived around 8 PM after a night tour. The good: We were seated at a window with a very nice harbor view. Our waiter was great. The concierge told us that the clam chowder was the best. I ordered a cup and she was right. The soup was thick and creamy with plenty of clams. Definitely try it.

The not so good: The balance of the dinner was average. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese and my partner had crab cakes. The mac and cheese was fair and not especially flavorful. There was a lot of soupy milk at the bottom. The crab cakes also were fair. We are from the D.C. area and often have Maryland crab cakes which, in this case are far better. There seemed to be more cake than crab, so I would rate the crab cakes as only fair.

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Came here after a rave review from a friend and absolutely loved it.
Clam chowder and sourdough bread was so good. We also got half a crab each and were very full. Menu also had lots of other seafood dishes I would have loved to try.
It was busy but still felt relaxing in a casual bistro atmosphere, jazzy background music and great views (tables of 4 or less probably get the better tables & booths near the window). Service was very good too.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Clam chowder was fantastic and jumbo shrimp cocktail was very fresh but sorely disappointed at our server Amy. She just handed us the 2 menus, didn't inform us of the specials. We had to hear it from the other table's server. She also didn't check back with us while eating. It took her a long time to process our payment. Great views and food , bad service .