“Clam Chowder”

Fog Harbor Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Fog Harbor Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Embarcadero
Transit: F-line,10 & 15 stops right in front of PIER 39. BART: 510.465.2278 MUNI & Cable Cars: 415.673.6864 Alameda/Oakland Ferry: 510.522.3300 Vallejo Ferry: 415.705.5444 Sausalito & Tiburon Ferry: 415.705.5444
Description: It has been said that "no visit to San Francisco is complete without a meal at Fog Harbor Fish House!" Fog Harbor Fish House offers the quintessential San Francisco waterfront dining experience and was the first 100% sustainable seafood restaurant in Fisherman's Wharf. The classic, cozy dining room features award-winning panoramic views of the Golden Gat Bridge and Alcatraz. Owned and operated by the Simmons Family, the founding family of PIER 39, you'll meet a member of the family when you dine!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We chose this restaurant to try Clam Chowder for the first time. Restaurant looked comfortable with a lovely seating area to have a drink while you waited for a table. Clam Chowder was served traditionally in the sourdough bread and was absolutely delicious and ample for a lunch. We had a window table, so lovely view while we enjoyed a glass of wine and a gorgeous lunch. White linen tablecloths made it feel quite up market which we liked. Great place!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,569)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Located on the upper level at Pier 39, Fog Harbor is a quiet respite and a great place to enjoy a cocktail along with some good seafood. The Steamed Clams are served with chorizo beans and corn in a nice butter sauce - very different, but tasty. The Crab Roll was stuffed with sweet crabmeat, celery and shallots, and served with sweet potato fries. A very enjoyable meal.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a good seafood restaurant in SF and, despite Fog Harbor being located at Pier 39 (tourist trap), we decided to try it based on good reviews on TripAdvisor.

We were not disappointed. The view was great overlooking the bay at sunset. We used Open Table to book reservations (recommended if eating on a weekend). We were promptly seated and greeted by our waitress (named Jack). She was great. Very personable and had lots of info and tips about the menu.

Yes, the food is a little over-priced (Pier 39 strikes again), but the portions were good and the food itself was very good. We had Calamari as an appetizer (nicely cooked) and it fed the 4 of us. I has the salmon plate (I feel compelled to have salmon when I am on the West coast). My son had the Mixed Grill (an assortment of 3 seafoods - shrimp and fish). He enjoyed it. My wife had the crab cakes (a little too much stuffing, although the crab was fresh). Even my picky tween-ager found something to please her.

Luckily, we saved room for desert. We shared a chocolate lava cake with ice cream. Boy, was that GOOD!

We parked at the Pier 39?garage and got our ticket validated since we ate after 6pm. Crowded but it was free.

I would recommend Fog Harbor despite its location in the over-commercialized Pier 39 area.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband loves clam chowder and orders it whenever we are at a seafood restaurant. This was his favorite ever. The hostesses, servers and runners were excellent. My husband had the mixed seafood grill and it was wonderful. I had the Pacific sole and was not disappointed. We were served in a timely manner, but did not feel hurried. It is not cheap, but it is also not out of the realm of mid to high mid restaurants in most major cities. It has a wonderful view of the bay. I would recommend for anyone visiting Pier 39.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Granted it is in a high tourism area I expected a tourist trap, but I was hoping for way better food than they had. The atmosphere is fine, the view is nice, but the service and food certainly leave something to be desired. Ate a late lunch here and had the fresh crab and a salad and neither were very good. The service was quick but they lacked the creating an experience characteristic. Also it was expensive for what it was, but considering the location I was expecting that. I will not return.