“Delicious experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kabuki Springs and Spa

Kabuki Springs and Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Serenity spa located in Japantown.
Aguascalientes, Mexico
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Delicious experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I only had 7 days in San Francisco and I spent one day at the Kabuki Spa, I wish I had spent the whole 7 days there. I got a Shiatsu massage which was the most professional I've ever had, I really felt (and I still do) different after it. The preparations prior to the massage impressed me in the best way. I really liked how clean, relaxing, quiet and respectful this place is.

I adored it

Visited October 2013

San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Relaxing Spa in J Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Tips: There are two parking structures. Be sure to park at the one where the spa is located at. The other is two blocks away. According to the spa, the parking rates is the "lowest" in the city. During weekdays - $ 4 an hour from 12-3, $ 2 an hour for semi off peak hours and $ 1 an hour for off peak hours. The spa will validate which will save you $ 4. Definitely, the better option is to use public transportation. Also, be sure to sign up for their rewards program. A free visit after 300 points (100 courtesy points at sign up and 1 point for every dollar after).

Aside from my mishap with the parking structure, the staff was very professional and friendly upon my arrival. I was led to the locker area (full sized lockers - pleasant surprise) and after changing, went into the communal area. The set up is similar to Burke Williams at the West Hollywood location. There were four showers with curtains, a "cold" pool, a "warm" pool, roomy steam room and roomy dry sauna. There were pitchers of fresh water scented with fresh lemons, limes and cucumbers. There were little sauce bowls with white stuff inside - it was salt that can be used for scrubbing in the steam sauna. Not for eating :-). At some point, an attendant brought out fresh cut apple slices rubbed lightly with salt which was delicious. The towels were super clean and plush. All the toiletries were spa brand and included shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, facial toner and body lotion (variety of scents). The only thing missing was the facial moisturizer. The lighting was very soothing - dimmed, some candles thrown around and the faintest of background music. Really appreciated the spa's policy on quiet zone - minimal talking and no cell phones.

A few things to know - M, Th, Sat are men only days. Went there for the men only day so can't comment on the co-ed days. The spa has a capacity of 52 so on popular days (F, Sat, Sun), expect to get on the wait list. The good thing is you can walk around and they will page you when your turn is up. The way to get around that is to sign up for a massage which will give you a reduced spa usage fee ($ 15 instead of 25) and no waiting.

Having pulled an all-nighter from LA to SF, I was dying for a relaxing day at the spa. I loved my experience at this spa and look forward to visiting in the near future. A funny mishap when I left - the front desk gave me someone else's ID. I didn't even realize it and luckily, they contacted me before I left the area. So be sure to check your ID upon receipt.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank W H
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The reputation of a Joie de Vivre spa certainly did not live up to the hype.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I came to the spa on for a body polish and a massage. I must say I was very grateful that you were able to fit me in on a short notice, thank you.

When I arrived I was given a sarong that ended up being very revealing while I watched everyone else walk around with a robe, I asked for one, but she said I get a sarong. I’m not sure if there is a rhyme or reason to that, but it was ultimately uncomfortable for me in that setting.

My body polish was wonderful and the person who gave it was immensely kind.

My disappointment lies in two areas: the massage and the front desk.

I had requested a “deep tissue” massage for my 80 minutes and now nearly a week out I have more problems than when I came in. My neck/upper shoulder area has visible knots in it, is twitching, and does not allow me to hold my head up straight. I understand some soreness after a massage, but I have had a number of massages and have not left worse off than when I went in. Now, I am in the position of having to go to another masseuse or a chiropractor to spend more money on something I should not have to. I guess I was hoping for more for $120.

When I left the lady at the front desk was less than personable and acted as though I was inconveniencing her by paying for my services.

For an establishment that touts itself as peaceful, calm, and, I would go as far as Zen, I was very disappointed. The reputation of a Joie de Vivre certainly did not live up to the hype.

I emailed the spa when I returned home to express my concerns, they did not respond at all.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Alicia M
New York City, New York, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Relaxing and Refreshing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I attended women's day at the spa while visiting my friend in San Francisco. I had never had a spa experience and was a little apprehensive about knowing what to do. Immediately upon entering the spa, my nerves disappeared. The setting was clean and comfortable, with wonderful amenities; soap, shampoo, and conditioner in both sit down and stand up showers, lotion, face wash, mouthwash etc in the bathrooms. Iced cucumber/lemon water was offered throughout the spa, as well as the tea of the day. Dishes of salt for the steam room, sauna, hot tub and cold pool, and plenty of chairs for sitting/reclining. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that it is worth a visit! If I weren't 3000 miles away I would go right now.

Visited August 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“I Visit Whenever I'm in San Francisco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my second visit to the Kabuki and I finally got to experience the communal baths. My friend and I enjoyed it immensely! Its very quiet, soothing and relaxing. After the bath I had the Javanese Lulur Body Treatment in a private room. The private rooms also have traditional Japanese tubs which are sublime to relax in. You get to spend about 15 minutes in it before or after; depending on the treatment. Make sure you check which days are gender specific and coed.

The only negative is that I had to pay an additional fee for the communal bath after paying over $100 for a spa treatment. I think the communal baths should be part of the spa appointment.

Visited August 2013