“The reputation of a Joie de Vivre spa certainly did not live up to the hype.”

Kabuki Springs and Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Serenity spa located in Japantown.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I came to the spa on for a body polish and a massage. I must say I was very grateful that you were able to fit me in on a short notice, thank you.

When I arrived I was given a sarong that ended up being very revealing while I watched everyone else walk around with a robe, I asked for one, but she said I get a sarong. I’m not sure if there is a rhyme or reason to that, but it was ultimately uncomfortable for me in that setting.

My body polish was wonderful and the person who gave it was immensely kind.

My disappointment lies in two areas: the massage and the front desk.

I had requested a “deep tissue” massage for my 80 minutes and now nearly a week out I have more problems than when I came in. My neck/upper shoulder area has visible knots in it, is twitching, and does not allow me to hold my head up straight. I understand some soreness after a massage, but I have had a number of massages and have not left worse off than when I went in. Now, I am in the position of having to go to another masseuse or a chiropractor to spend more money on something I should not have to. I guess I was hoping for more for $120.

When I left the lady at the front desk was less than personable and acted as though I was inconveniencing her by paying for my services.

For an establishment that touts itself as peaceful, calm, and, I would go as far as Zen, I was very disappointed. The reputation of a Joie de Vivre certainly did not live up to the hype.

I emailed the spa when I returned home to express my concerns, they did not respond at all.

2  Thank Alicia M

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I attended women's day at the spa while visiting my friend in San Francisco. I had never had a spa experience and was a little apprehensive about knowing what to do. Immediately upon entering the spa, my nerves disappeared. The setting was clean and comfortable, with wonderful amenities; soap, shampoo, and conditioner in both sit down and stand up showers, lotion, face wash, mouthwash etc in the bathrooms. Iced cucumber/lemon water was offered throughout the spa, as well as the tea of the day. Dishes of salt for the steam room, sauna, hot tub and cold pool, and plenty of chairs for sitting/reclining. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that it is worth a visit! If I weren't 3000 miles away I would go right now.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my second visit to the Kabuki and I finally got to experience the communal baths. My friend and I enjoyed it immensely! Its very quiet, soothing and relaxing. After the bath I had the Javanese Lulur Body Treatment in a private room. The private rooms also have traditional Japanese tubs which are sublime to relax in. You get to spend about 15 minutes in it before or after; depending on the treatment. Make sure you check which days are gender specific and coed.

The only negative is that I had to pay an additional fee for the communal bath after paying over $100 for a spa treatment. I think the communal baths should be part of the spa appointment.

1  Thank EowynTravels
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

You get less than how much you pay. It is a busy place , you see a lot of staff walking around not necessarily helping people. They will help you but you have to ask. No initiative from their part to offer help even though you appear lost. Floors are wet from the pool, no slippers provided when going to dressing area. No Infection Control considering warm moist/wet areas are good breeding place of germs. Massage is actually good but not my kind of place. If you want to walk around naked and don't care about privacy and stepping on wet floor, kabuki would be your place. I
went twice, both times my observation did not change. So I will continue to explore other place
and not go back to Kabuki.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

They kept me waiting for over 2 hours and while I was the 1st one on the waiting list they kept letting people in who booked massages. If I knew in the beginning that was gonna be the case I wouldn't have wasted my time