“When in Rome...”

Kabuki Springs and Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Serenity spa located in Japantown.
Reviewed March 27, 2013

As the other reviewers have mentioned, this is not the place for prudes. People are naked in front of you and god and everyone else. If you try to cover up, no one will say anything, but you will stick out. It took a while to get used to myself, but as the saying goes "When in Rome..."

First the good. We were late for our massage appointments due to traffic, but the front desk people were very helpful in rescheduling. The actual sauna is pretty awesome. There is a traditional dry sauna, a steam room, and a cold and hot tub. In between there is flavored water to drink and plenty of places to lay around and chill out. The salt to scrub down with was a nice touch. I opted for a shiatsu massage, and for the first time, did not have to request more pressure. I definitely felt it the next day though.

Now the not so good. While the actual main room was pretty quiet, the actual saunas had a lot of loud machine noises in them. Distracting. But the worst part was towards the end. The spa closes at 10pm, but at 9:15 the cleaning ladies loudly started shooing people out, picking up towels and robes regardless if people were using them, and throwing away still full cups of drinking water. If a establishment says it doesn't close until a certain time, I expect to be able to use the facilities until then. Rude rude rude.

That said, I would be willing to go back due to the wide range of DIY spa things.

All reviews
"stalls"
in 4 reviews
"benches"

Reviewed March 6, 2013

A friend reccommended that I try Kabuki when I visited San Fran and I am so glad I did. Jenn gave a GREAT massage and the sauna, salt scrub and baths were truly amazing. I wish I lived closer so I could go every few weeks. I (and my body) feel lovely and rested!

I though I would feel a little uncomfortable walking around in the nude, after all I am not in my 20s or 30s anymore, but there were women of all ages and all body types, naked, or wrapped in towels, and after a few minutes it felt pretty comfortable and by the end of the 2 hours I spent there, it felt natural and liberating.

A lovely morning, and a lasting memory of wellness and relaxation!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The perfect combination of communal bath facilities and spa services, Kabuki Springs is a wonderful retreat to unwind and relax. Amenities include a cold plunge pool, large hot pool, good-sized sauna and steam room. An addd bonus includes a buffet of citrus-infused water and cold fruit/vegetables as well as in-house toiletries. Be sure to partake in one of many spa services offered, including massage. Reasonable rates for entrance, Kabuki Springs is a great way to pamper yourself while in San Francisco. Convenient location in Japantown in the Japanese mall complex.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great place to unwind and if you enjoy relaxation; A great place to relax! Nudity abounds so just go and enjoy! "When in Rome, Do as the Romans."

See more reviews
Reviewed December 31, 2012

To relieve our cramped muscles from all the horrible traveling, I booked us into Kabuki Spa- Wednesday is ladies day for the bathing area so I booked hubby to a 1.5 hr massage while I had a half hour bathing session, half hour scrub and half hour massage.

In hindsight, I should have just gotten the massage, because it was heaven. In actual fact I think it was the best massage I ever had for like, ever. I think the masseur’s name was Sekani.

The bathing session was a bit weird. I thought Kabuki spa is Japanese but there was a giant bowl of salt and people use the salt scrub in the steam room and the baths without rinsing, so the bath and steam room has granules of salt. Yuck. The water in the heated pool was also not very warm and the sauna wasn’t hot enough either.

Check out my trips by heading over to my blog site, pigouttravels(dot)wordpress(dot)com

3  Thank Pigout_travels