“Take the audio tour”

and up
San Francisco Wharf and Waterfront Segway Tour
Ranked #48 of 535 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: World War II submarine docked at Pier 45.
Wollongong, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Take the audio tour”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I'd heard about the Pampanito before and was keen to have a look. The audio tour was superb, narrated by actual submariners and gave a great insight into life on the sub. I really enjoyed making my way through, and being 6ft tall I really appreciated the cramped conditions they worked under. They have done a really good job preserving this WWII relic and it's well worth a look.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Neat”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed the walk through this WWII sub. Hard to believe what the sailors endured on those boats. Tip - get the audio headset for a lot of detail about what you are seeing.

Dallas, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Well preserved WW2 submarine”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We bought admission on Groupon and got a great deal for the family to tour the Pampanito. My oldest son is a huge WW2 buff, so he was the most excited. We all enjoyed the tour, though. I get motion-sickness easily, and felt queasy the whole time from the waves and movement of the ship, so I do recommend Dramamine if you are prone to it.

There is a lot to see and touch. You can buy the audio tour for $3. You climb through lots of narrow hatches from section to section. It is fairly cramped and tight inside, which really made us appreciate the men who have served on sub duty. I don't know how they did it. Highly recommended if you are into military history at all.

3 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We went for the audio tour which I believe is worth the extra $3. It was a great experience and worth it. It is so interesting to see the history that shaped the modern world. It is a little cramped inside but those are the conditions that the submariners had to endure. I believe this is a must see.

Milan, Italy
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“USS Pampanito”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had heard about the USS Pampanito before my visit to San Francisco and I planned to visit some time during my stay. Fortunately, I arrived fairly early in the morning and there was only one other person on the boat. I paid for the audio guide which I would recommend for the visit as it gave such insight to the military hardware. Without the audio guide I would have probably walked through in about 15 minutes. With the guide it was at least 45 minutes. Anyone who is interested in military history would probably find it fascinating. Fisherman's wharf is only 5 minutes' walk away, so my wife went shopping instead.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank MilanAngloitalian

Been to USS Pampanito? Share your experiences!