“Don't Skip the Audio Tour”
Review of USS Pampanito

$115.00*
Private Segway Tour - Chinatown by Night
Ranked #48 of 569 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: World War II submarine docked at Pier 45.
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I found Fisherman's Wharf too touristy with all its (mostly) boring shops and restaurants. But I enjoyed my visit to the USS Pampanito, a WWI submarine. I am not a huge fan of military stuff, but I've seen enough war movies to want to explore a real sub.

There weren't many visitors on a late November day. No line for tickets and audio guides, which cost us a total of $12.00 with a discount coupon from a magazine we picked up in our hotel. There were very few of us on the ship; I can only imagine what it must be like on a busy, warm day with hoards of people. Just alone, it was cramped with narrow corridors and low ceilings. Much smaller than I had imagined.

The audio guide was very informative and helped me understand what I was looking at in each section of the sub. Don't pass it up. Through this experience, I developed a renewed appreciation of what our military go through to keep us safe. Thanks to the people who manage to keep this open to the public.

This is a submarine, so be prepared for lots of climbing up and down so consider that if members of your group have limit mobility.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went to see the USS Pampanito because my hubby and I love doing those type of museum tours and have never been on a sub before. It's pretty spendy at $12 a person and then an additional $3 for the audio tour but if you don't do the audio part and don't know much about subs you will learn absolutely nothing from the tour. There isn't really an signs inside telling you what things are and there definitely is no explanation. I wish they would include the audio tour with the price of admission, but since they don't if you are going to go on this tour I highly suggest the audio part or you'll miss out on pretty much the whole thing! With the audio tour it was informative and I learned some new things! Audio tour takes about 30 min. If you have the time and interest, spend the money! :) Enjoy.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I visited this place with my family, including my 6 year old son.
It didnt take make more than a hour and half to finish off the tour.
Maybe our expectations were little high after having been to the USS Midway in San Diego, Ofcourse one is an aircraft carrier and other is a submarine, different ends of the spectrum.
Highlights are the torpedoes, the living quarters, the bunk beds
Probably the tour route is not well organized and there aren't many descriptions. We did not take the audio tour, maybe that did not help.
Interesting to observe how bulky, quaint and archaic the equipment felt are given today's advancement in electronics and mechanics.
And just to contemplate how much it would have cost to build this and was in actual war patrol for only a couple of years is kind of mind boggling.
Once you get down you can feel the sway of the water, the tight spaces.
Dont have too high of an expectation before you go!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I didnt know very much about the USS Pampanito brfore i came but I loved it! I didn't spring for the audio tour because I felt the admission was a bit steep, but having seen it now, I would like to go back and hear the tour. As it was, I felt like I was able to get lost in the history of the sub without the tour, It was interesting and relaxing, and we felt like we could have stayed on there for days (but I'm glad we didn't).

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We completely stumbled across this as we were wandering with some ice creams! Didn’t even know it was there! It was in great condition and a nice surprise! I think that some of the things in the submarines could have been labelled so I knew what was going on and what things were as I didn’t have a clue. I have to admit I didn’t realise quite how cramped it would be and did start getting a bit claustrophobic. Its definitely worth the visit though as this is something I wouldnt have usually done!

1  Thank Tinks3