“Take your time”

and up
San Francisco Parks and Coast – Summer of Love Edition
Ranked #21 of 529 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning cultures from Turkey to India and China to the Philippines through 6,000 years, the collection provides a panorama of Asian art and culture. Included are over 18,000 objects ranging from tiny jades to monumental sculptures. Superb paintings, porcelains, arms and armor, furniture, textiles, and bronzes are featured.
Plum, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Take your time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I started our journey through the museum ; this is one of the very largest collections of Asian art and artifacts in America. The museum opened when we went in and it was ready to close, and , frankly , we rushed through many of the rooms because I had dreams of going to China Town next, and my husband of going to the beach..which we did next, actually. One of the surprises was the fact that Buddhas, as big as one room, were not roped off. We literaly walked right up to them. They were ...awe inspiring. We were also fortunate that while we were there, they had a Ming Dynasty collection. My advice...go one day and come back the next to get a full appreciation of this elegant and rare collection of history and artwork.

Visited November 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“A massive and interesting museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a stunning museum. Each of the rooms focuses on the art of a different country or period of Asian Art. While I was visiting, a dance troop was performing in the courtyard area. The building itself isn’t Asian styled; it’s made up of marble columns. It’s seems that it may have originally been built as a library or government building. The café is a serene spot to have a cup of tea and rest while exploring the museum. I could easily spend an entire afternoon here.

Visited February 2012
Edgewater, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A fine museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Laid out well, explanations as well as a complimentary audio program, nice gift shop and a great, clean, pleasant restaurant inside I would go to again. The chinese food was much better than in Chinatown.

Visited September 2012
Hayward, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not as impressive as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We took a tour and found the tour guide overbearing and nearly rude - very abrasive. I was glad I went for the few things that I enjoyed but as I said, I expected more.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank ramblinroze_12
Huntsville, Alabama
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Impressive Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Clean, bright, pretty museum with beautiful exhibits from antiquity to modern day. Everything was accompanied with plenty of explanations, which we appreciated since we are not very familiar with Hinduism and Buddism. Those religions influenced many of the works in there, and knowing some of the background made the museum experience richer.

Two hours is enough to admire everything, but if you want to read a lot of the accompanying placards or really study the art, budget more time.

Visited September 2012