“I regularly go to this museum twice a year, and am rarely disappointed.”
Review of Asian Art Museum

$89.00*
Viator Exclusive: San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Plus Bike & Bay Cruise
Ranked #22 of 558 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning cultures from Turkey to India and China to the Philippines through 6,000 years, the collection provides a panorama of Asian art and culture. Included are over 18,000 objects ranging from tiny jades to monumental sculptures. Superb paintings, porcelains, arms and armor, furniture, textiles, and bronzes are featured.
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The most recent time I was here was in March, when visiting family in the greater SF area. The Bali exhibit was fantastic. Before that, they had a beautiful Japanese screen show. A year ago, the Shanghai exhibit was one of my favorites of all time. Add to these temporary shows their commitment to the permanent collection, and I find this to be one of the crown jewels not only of San Francisco, but for museums throughout the world for people interested in Asia. They do not shortchange Southeast Asia, for example, in exchange for Northeast Asia. The museum shop is extraordinary. If you like it as much as I do (I'm a Bostonian), I highly recommend getting the out-of-region membership. I thank the City of San Francisco for supporting such a wonderful, unusual place, particularly during these challenging financial times. I'm already getting ready for the show on India in the Fall.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We've been to the Asian Art Museum a few times. It's one of my favorite museums. Very relaxing in a zen way. They have a great core collection with a deep and varied collection of antiquities. They're in such pristine condition, they look like they were forged yesterday. And each of their special exhibits has been a treat.

This is a manageable museum - you can get around to most of the exhibits in 3-4 hours. And their cafe is one of the best museum cafes we've been to, with reasonably priced asian-inspired salads and entrees that change frequently.

The museum is closed Mondays, and is free the first Sunday of the month. It's across the plaza from City Hall, and you can hang out at the plaza and people-watch. There's reasonably priced parking under the plaza.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

Visited the museum when the entrance was free (Thanks for Target!).

The Oriental collection is very good -- the silk clothes and the Chinese pottery are beautiful.
The jade display was exquisite.

Reviewed December 10, 2009

This museum is loaded with art from Asia. Japan, China, Korea, India, and other Asian nations including some from the Middle East. There are photographs, paintings, and tapestries as well as exhibits made from wood, stone, terra-cotta, bronze, jade, etc. This museum is filled with statues of Buddah and Indian deities. Included in the exhibits are swords and ancient firearms from Japan. There is a general admission price and an additional price if one desires to see any special exhibits which the museum might display. Allow several hours to see this museum as there is really a lot to see.

1  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed August 30, 2009

If you like art and culture, this museum is the place for you. It was 25 a person to get in, but it was more than worth it. The day we went the museum had a special exhibit going on called "Samurai," a collection of artificats and paintings from mid-evil to modern Japan. The exhibit was fascinating and the tour we took with it was very engaging. The only thing I suggest is that you make this an all-day affair; if I had to do it again, I would go in the morning, leave and grab lunch nearby, and then come back in the afternoon. My g/f and I were there for over two hours and we didn't come close to seeing the whole museum.

2  Thank jecatudel