Haight-Ashbury
Ranked #63 of 564 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Center of the long-gone hippie culture of the 1960s, this trendy neighborhood is now a whole new scene with upscale boutiques, Internet cafes and hip restaurants.
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

When in the Haight, visit Ben and Jerry's as well as Coffee to the People. Treasures can be found in the Tibetian store. Nice area to visit.

1  Thank Crystal C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

On a recent trip to SF, my boyfriend and I knew we had to visit Haight-Ashbury! We were initially drawn to the area simply because of it's historical significance; but it's got a lot going on for it!! We went mid-afternoon and there were lots of people out and about. It's still appears to be largely a hippie area -- very cool. The food in the area was great, and the shopping was so fun!! There are a lot of classy vintage clothing stores for men and women! I was sorry that I had spent my shopping time (and money) earlier in the week in downtown SF!! This was an ideal place to get some new staple, one-of-a-kind items!

1  Thank eharm
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lots of action, much to see and take in, very crowded on a sunny Saturday with parking a huge problem. Take public transporation if you visit.

1  Thank Hodagfamily
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is district worthy of spending the day in....great shops...King Noodle (I think) is some of the BEST Thai I've ever had the pleasure of eating! Check out the stocking store --wow- hundreds of cool styles -- Gypsy Street wear for really fun clothing....shops galore!!

3  Thank Glend888
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Spent the day at Haight Asbury and the surrounding area and really enjoyed looking around the shops, as we wanted something more unique and independent than the tourist spots. There are some great shops such as Amoeba music, which we really enjoyed. We also had great coffee and pastries at one of the local cafes. Golden gate park is really close also to see museums at the same time.

There are some interesting characters around, but they are harmless and we never felt threatened. The area reminded me of Camden in London, just keep your street smarts about you.

1  Thank Karena-macarena