“Really nice shops, nice variety, and a lot of samples!”

Ferry Building Marketplace
Ranked #16 of 564 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A city landmark transformed into a gourmet food emporium and farmers market.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

A really fun place to shop (even on a Saturday), with a nice variety of shops to stock up for a week's adventure to a rental house on the northern California coast. Various vendors of gourmet products including meats, cheeses, olive oils, breads, fish, herbs, vinegars, etc. Prices reasonable (though not a bargain), the variety is splendid! Cant wait to delve in to our bounty this upcoming week!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,730)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have lived in the SFO area for 12 years and had never gone here, do not miss this, a great place. So many different shops, reminded me of Fanuiel Hall in Boston.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

While my feelings aren't as strong as Kevin S, I had an awesome time here during the Farmers Market with my family. I'm not even much of an organic fan or a vegan ... heck I'm a conservative ... but glad I went!

1  Thank OhiOkie
Reviewed December 27, 2013

There are no words strong or meaningful enough to describe how much I have fallen in love with the Ferry Building and don't you dare tell me otherwise because I know how I feel. I know the difference between a simple crush and pure everlasting love and I can assure you, I am certain of it; it is the latter that has got me!

... Difficulty breathing and in complete awe at her beauty while standing at her doorstep, the feeling of excitement and joy while hanging out inside of her and gut wrenching sadness when I leave her.... 'Nouf said!

The Ferry Building is neat, beautiful and, being along the water with a view of the bay; it is truly an amazing place. It's got everything cheese, bread, coffee, meat, seafood, dessert, cookware and literature as well. To name a few: Blue Bottle Coffee (great coffee), Boccalone (one of the best chorrizo sangas I've ever had and seriously, who doesn't like salami cones?), SF Fish Company, Cowgirl Creamery, Cowgirl Sidekick, MIette, Acme Bread, Book Passage and Peet's. There's also plenty going on outside at the front.

It is very touristy I agree but you can't really whinge about that because, let's face it; a awesome venue like that in such a touristy part of town is meant to be... well touristy!

Along with Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building is the reason why I'd love to live in San Fran one day so, if I ever make the move from The Place To Be that is Melbourne; you can sure that those 2 places had a major role to play in it!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

The building is beautiful. The food is beautiful and full of variety. The displays of food in each stall are unique and beautiful. I cannot say enough good things about what your senses will experience at the Ferry Building. Have lunch there for sure, and then buy a few things to bring home in your suitcase.