“sometimes it's not the food that you recall he most”
Review of The Monk's Kettle

The Monk's Kettle
Ranked #447 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Mission District
Fulton, Maryland
“sometimes it's not the food that you recall he most”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was lucky that I had a great bartender who seemed to really know his beer! What a major change compared to La Trappe the night before, but unfortunately he wasn't the one who manned the door or cooked my food.

I never realized how many people have no clue what they do to people inside a restaurant when they stand in the door and keep it open (on a cold night) until a couple nights ago when I sat at the part of the bar closest to the door. The hostess did her best to try to encourage people to step in, or even pull the door shut, but it was not enough. I kept thinking, close the damn door.

On to the food...
I asked about the bone marrow appetizer and the bartender said they were having a hard time getting large enough bones so they created what I can only call an emulsion of which I understand included butter. The base of the dish was popcorn with some capers and then a piece of toast with the emulsion. Interesting idea, but for me it didn't work.

My chicken sandwich was very flavorful, but a little dry. The fries were cooked to perfection and had a rich potato flavor, but with so much salt that I ended up scraping off the salt crystals to make the fries palatable. Given the choice of these fries or the ones at La Trappe the night before, I'll take those at the Monk's Kettle any day. I did mention it to the bartender and he offered to replace the fries, and told the kitchen about the massive oversalting. I declined as I didn't want to wait, or have another whole order of fries. In the end he gave me a discount off my bill.

I might go back for a beer someday; probably not for the food.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
San Francisco, California
“Great beer selection.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Great beer selection but very expensive. I have been around those types of beers for many years and many were twice the amount they normally cost. We tried the pretzel and the risotto, both were tasty and came out quickly. Staff was friendly and nice, also the bartender seemed knowledgeable. Recommend this place if you're into Belgian and craft beers.

“Love the beer and food”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Off the beaten path. Great food and great selection of beers. Try the burger and any of their pours.

Kreskin2207
“Great Beer and Food”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent beer and food. Stopped in on a business trip for a late lunch and was happy to find Pliny The Elder on tap. A good spot for a gastropub lunch or dinner - highly recommended if you're a craft beer nerd or foodie. For the record I despise the terms gastropub, craft beer, and foodie....

• Visited February 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beers, burgers, hipsters.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Dropped in here for some beers having heard about the huge selection of craft beers on offer. The huge beer menu is a little overwhelming, I would have preferred a smaller selection, perhaps accompanied by some tasting notes. That said, the staff were happy to make recommendations, and I ended up with a really nice local IPA.

The burger was one of the best I've had in San Francisco recently. It was perfectly cooked as ordered and served with onion marmalade and a dollop of melt-in-the-mouth garlic butter.

Like most hipster joints in the Mission, the Monks Kettle does have a bit of an attitude. We originally planned only to have a couple of beers so were happy to hang out at the bar, however on seeing the food coming out of the kitchen we decided to eat and grabbed an empty table, when we were set upon by a member of staff who told us that we couldn't just sit down as we pleased because "this isn't McDonalds" and the tables were only for people on the wait list. We asked how long the wait list is, and were surprised when he told us that well, there wasn't actually anyone on the wait list, rendering the entire encounter completely pointless and awkward.

• Visited February 2013