“a bit to conceptual for...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Orson - CLOSED

Orson
Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Transit: Muni: 47, 9x, 16ax, 16bx, 12, 45, 76, 30, 91, 81x.
San Francisco, California
“a bit to conceptual for...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

a bit to conceptual for me. deconstructed everything... the space is gorgeous though.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very creative menu but the drinks were bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Very creative menu but the drinks were bad.

Westchester, NY
“Weird to be weird, but good food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

My husband and I are New Yorkers, and like to eat good, creative food. I'd even describe us as adventurous eaters, so when the concierge at the hotel said that Orson was, "edgy California cuisine", we were eager to try it. The restaurant is in a huge warehouse space which is very cool looking. The cocktails at the bar were very good. As we enjoyed our cocktails, we looked at the menu and discovered there was no fish or chicken on the menu - just meat and pork. Also, I love to cook and pour over cookbooks and cooking magazines, and even with that knowledge there were many ingredients I had never heard of -- not that that's bad, but it goes to show the mindset of the chef.
My husband and I had a hard time selecting our meal. Once the meals arrived, they were both very good, but even though the food was good, and the waiter was great, I really hesitate to recommend Orson. My husband joked with the waiter when the dessert menu arrived, " no pig on the dessert menu?" To which the waiter replied, "we just took the bacon ice cream off the menu," NO JOKE. I love dessert, but didn't want olive oil ice cream or any of the other "edgy" offerings.
Instead of "edgy California cuisine", I'd call it, "agressively in your face and we dare you to try it" cuisine, which is just a bit too much work for me.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Tried this place for dinner last night and was very happy about it. Ambience is very hip and modern. Service was top...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

Tried this place for dinner last night and was very happy about it. Ambience is very hip and modern. Service was top notch. (Granted, the dining room was maybe 60% full.) The "explosive" caesar is not that interesting - stick w/ the arugula salad instead. Burger was VERY yummy as was the sausage pizza. I only tasted one dessert (the burnt chocolate cake) and it definitely looked better on paper. I would definitely return.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Menu has more interest than follow through on some of the dishes. Crave-able duck fat fries with bearnaise sauce...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

Crave-able duck fat fries with bearnaise sauce, delicious smoked sous-vide fish with black rice and bacon. You'll definitely find some tasty treats and unusual flavor combinations, but not all of the more out-there ones hit the mark as well as I'd hoped.