“Incredible food, great atmosphere”
Review of L'ardoise Bistro

L'ardoise Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
L'ardoise Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: The Castro
Cross street: Henry
Transit: Church Street Castro Duboce Park/Duboce and Noe Duboce and Church
Description: French bistro fare & a varied wine list star in a cozy, colorful space.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Go here immediately. Its very French and very delicious. I've gone on dates or with friends and its great for both. Also, if you get there early you can generally snag a table. The staff is incredibly knowledgeable, so let them guide you, but everything not the menu is delicious so you can't go wrong.

1  Thank 737alexanderb

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were hosted at this bistro style restaurant while in San Francisco for a wedding. A word of caution if you want to talk during the meal find somewhere else since the music is very loud. Salad appetisers made from Brussels sprouts were very good
The meals were well prepared with some much better than others, the crispy chicken was much better than the fish which was salty and fishy. The venison although cooked to perfection lacked any discernible flavor.
Service was attentive and professional.

1  Thank Webstercs
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We dined at L'Ardoise last night. From the moment you enter it feels very much like a bistro in Paris. Heavy drapes keep out the breeze, the waiters all are obviously native french speakers the tables are closely set along the wall, the space is intimate. Within moments I literally got internally confused thinking we weren't on a trip to SF, but a trip to France instead. (Perhaps this feeling was exacerbated due to the fact that the couples on both sides of us were also speaking french.)

Mrs_dergon had a brusselsprout salad and the mushroom risotto. I tried (more than my fair share) both and was impressed.

I ordered escargot, an interesting prep, served in hollowed out small potato shells. Then good old fashioned flank steak with pommes frittes.

We had a half bottle of a St. Emilion... then another half bottle (I know, I know ... poor planning). A glass of Sauternes rounded it out.

Total for the above $150

It was easy to get to from our Union Square hotel....... just take the F train to Noe. Walk up 2 blocks.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

L'Ardoise is a really warm neighborhood French restaurant with spectacular food, terrific service and the ambience to match. I love the menu which has something for everyone and I look forward to future visits because I am determined to eat everything they have to offer. I plan on going once a quarter!

I have been to enough restaurants to know that bread is not bread. The bread here is just plain unbelievable and you needn't worry about taking the last piece because the servers are attentive and will replenish your basket immediately. For starters I would highly recommend the charcuterie plate w/ housemade pates for the table. Trust me, just order it.

As a main course I would try the duck confit and when it is available as a special, the beef ribs. "Baby" and I shared these dishes so you might want to consider going "half-eez" with your mate. I have never had better duck confit in my life and my challenge will be to try something different next time. I must admit, I had my eye on the chicken. There are several main courses in different price ranges so if you go when "your money is funny" don't worry there are a couple of dishes for that .

The dessert was absolutely "sick" (for the hip impaired, this means it was good) and you will never have a better flourless chocolate cake or raspberry tart anywhere.

My three cents

Take public transportation if you can or get their early. I have been lucky twice but I can see how parking can be a bear. I would strongly suggest bringing wine and paying the corkage fee. They have a great selection, for sure, but if you make the mistake of asking for a wine suggestion they will really push you to try the outrageously priced bottles. I was slightly "put off by this." Stay away from the Juliette Avril Chateauneauseuf-Du-Pape because although saying it sounds nice it is not worth $60 a bottle. I would also suggest telling the server that you prefer to pour your own wine after the initial pour. "I'm just sayin."

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love this place! Food-delicious, Staff-Terrific, located in the Castro district on a quiet residential street, reservations are a must. Charming, romantic, bistro atmosphere, very cozy. We just returned from France and I cannot wait to go back. This is one of those gems you always hope to find. ENJOY!

2  Thank Nomi44