“Not as good as the original”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Creations Dessert House
Ranked #2,861 of 5,735 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Sammamish, Washington
“Not as good as the original”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The shop is a bit away from the attractions, and poorly decorated. Although the place is spacious, the tables are tightly packed next to the wall. My chair was a bit wobbly, and I was hoping one of the legs wouldn't give out while I sat.

I ordered one of the cold mango dessert, and so did rest of my family. While it's similar to what had in Hong Kong and in China, it just wasn't as good. The mango was obviously not ripe, and therefore stringy and chewy.

It was OK, but not sure I would go out of my way to find it next time. Note that the place is cash only.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California, United States
“Great Chinese Dessert Place”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I came here with some friends after lunch one day and was pleasantly surprised. The place had a half fancy and half hole in the wall look. We were greeted with friendly faces and each received tea while we made our decision of what dessert we would be eating. Probably the best dessert we had was the mango sago (mango and tapioca). The mango was fresh and sweet. The mango mochi was also fresh and tasty. The red bean soup reminded me of my childhood days eating with my mom, really appreciating the difference from a chinese dessert from and american one. I liked the taro and black rice with rice ball and coconut pudding as well.

One piece of advice is to stay away from the special ice cream (comes in sesame, coconut and mango). There was just something missed with consistency and flavor of this dessert.

• Visited September 2012
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Just like Hui Lau Shan in Hong Kong... spectacular!”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This is exactly like "Hui Lau Shan" in Hong Kong. In fact it used to be Hui Lau Shan but they changed the first Chinese character to 楚 for contracting issues. Never mind that; the menu is exactly the same as the original Hui Lau Shan in Hong Kong and they even have the same tables and chairs in the back room! (The front part of the restaurant has standard seating.)
One would hope a Hong Kong style restaurant would be located in Chinatown but Creations is worth the trip out west to the Richmond district. We took the bus down Geary Street and found it across the street from Ross Dress For Less.
From the moment you see the menu you are transported back to Hong Kong. For those of you reading this review who have never been to Hong Kong don't worry; this is a treat unlike anything you have ever tried in America before.
My favorite items on the menu are:
1. Sesame paste with glutinous rice ball; a sweet hot black sesame soup that is perfect for a cold windy San Francisco day. Order this! You will thank me later.
2. Mango Mochi: this is a traditional Japanese treat that the Chinese have improved and features fresh mango inside a chewy bun made out of sweet sticky rice.
3. Papaya Juice: self explanatory; this fresh juice washes it all down perfectly!

Other favorites include sea coconut fruit combo, fried radish cake, and mango pudding.
They are open until midnight, so be sure to come back again for your last night in San Francisco!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good for HK desserts. I...”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Good for HK desserts. I just don't like the chairs that look like toilets.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook