“Book Early!”

Alcatraz Admission and Wine Country Bike Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Book Early!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The trick about getting to Alcatraz is to book SEVERAL MONTHS in advance to get the trip you want - especially if you're doing the night tour. I live in San Francisco, but hesitated about going to Alcatraz because I thought it was a tourist trap. It is not! Alcatraz is run by the National Parks Services, so it has a really different feel to it - very pristine, natural and historic. The audio tour is great, the boat ride and views are amazing, and there is even a shuttle to drag your tired self up to the top of the hill from the boat docks to the prison. Easily done for kids, the elderly and the disabled. Don't hesitate to book - if you wait until you arrive in San Francisco to get your tickets, you may lose out.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Plano, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Far better experience than last time I visited”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Wow, so much has improved since our last visit. The grounds are in better shape and more of the island has been cleaned up. I really enjoyed taking pictures and we couldn't have had a better day. I'll admit our last visit was over 25 years ago, but it was so depressing - not that a prison should be fun, but it was dirty, dark and access was limited. Good job making this historical site a must see!

Visited April 2014
Chippenham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Book your ticket to avoid disappointment”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

This is not a review per say but a bit if advice.

We rocked up into San Francisco expecting to head down to the waterfront and to jump on a tour.

That was a mistake. We were gutted to find out the tour was full booked up to a week AFTER our departure.

So please Book to avoid disappointment.

2 Thank Bristolhibby
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“No Escape From Your Memories”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

After breakfast in a diner near Fishermans Wharf we made our way to the boat that was taking us to Alcatraz. It was chilly but clear. We had a view of Alcatraz the entire way and got some great shots.
I have never been inside a prison so not only was it Alcatraz but also a new experience for me. Walking through the spaces I could sense, but not totally, what went on there. It was similar but not as dark as the feeling when visiting Dachau.
I am glad Al Capone and the Birdman got the pleasure of living there instead of me. I think I had more room in the barracks when I was in basic training.
i enjoyed walking around outside and taking in the view of the bay and the bridge and city, Coit Tower and Transamerica Building. As I was walking it was also a good time to ponder the value of freedom.
I don't know that I will ever return but it is one of those places you must visit once, just make sure you have a round trip ticket.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank DarwinND
Lake Stevens, Washington
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Interesting history with amazing views”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was our first trip to alcatraz. It was a beautiful day so it made the ferry ride that much more enjoyable. The audio tour is very well done, it goes at a very nice self guided pace. The views are absolutely amazing, both on and off the island. Well worth the trip.

Visited April 2014