“Very informative”

Alcatraz and San Francisco Bay Sightseeing Boat Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. When you reach the island you are offered a self guided audio tour for no extra charge which is available in a number of languages. I found this to be very entertaining and informative.

Write a ReviewReviews (45,344)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed the audio tour of Alcatraz and thought it great value for money. Make sure you pre book on line and get there early.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I loved this whole experience! I was in SF for MLK weekend. It was deff a nice day, not cold at all for January. There is deff. a lot of walking on the island so make sure you wear comfortable shoes! otherwise, enjoy your trip!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Ensure you book your tickets in advance, we ended up having to extend our stay in San Fran by a couple days because we didn't book the tickets soon enough and i refused to leave without visiting. Well, what can i say, i just loved Alcatraz, i find it so intriguing. We took the early 9:40am trip which included a trip to Angel Island first and meant we wouldn't get to Alcatraz until about 1pm, talk about building up anticipation. The boat swung by Alcatraz en route to Angel Island so we were able to get some cool photos. Got to Angel Island around 10:30am and you get onto these little tour cars that are open and have no sides and it was FREEZING. Make sure you dress warmly. I personally found this part of the trip rediculously boring and if i were to do it again i would skip Angel Island all together. Alcatraz is quite creepy, but in a fascinating way! It was kind of mind blowing knowing you were stood in the same place the likes of Al Capone have been stood! The audio headset tour is fantastic, very informative and interesting. The story of the 3 convicts who escaped is so cool! Very surreal stuff and clever too. I bought a book in the gift shop called Breaking the Rock and turns out the author is the daughter of the prison warden who served during the escape and she also happened to be there when i was there, she signed my book! Alcatraz was the absolute highlight of my time in San Francisco and i highly reccomed it!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Book early online! We went in September, a slower time, but still, there were no tickets available at all from any ticket booth or tour unless you booked an all-day trip that included the prison. Our daughter had gone a few years ago in July and had no problem. I booked our trip to San Francisco very early and at that time the website did not mention that they were sold out. If I would have checked closer to time, I would have seen it online. They were sold out until the following week - which didn't help us because we were moving on.