“A trip to Alcatraz”

Alcatraz Admission and Wine Country Bike Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
Brisbane
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A trip to Alcatraz”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We took the ferry across the bay to Alcatraz, then walked up the hill (which is the equivalent of walking up 13 stories) to the Jail. It was amazing and the stories that are told about life there were eye opening. The history about this place is very interesting and its surprising what you don't know.

Visited August 2013

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Unique attraction”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I interesting facility...truly one of a kind. Only way to see it is thru Alcatraz cruises. Seems a bit overpriced. Something to do "once" if you're visiting San Francisco. We did the first cruise of the day. I would recommend it to avoid large crowds.

Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A great experience”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I pre-booked my ticket online from Australia some months before I travelled as advised by my father as the ferrys are always fully booked every day. I caught the 11am ferry. A quick trip over, great views. The tour was amazing! Walking up to the cells, we were given headphones and proceeded to the start of the tour where you can turn on the commentary at any time. The tour leads you around the whole of the prison and is very informative. I learned so much about the prison and took a lot of photos! Highly recommended!

Visited October 2013
New Westminster, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Memorable Night Tour”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I recently did the night tour (I heard it was amazing compared to the day tour) and I would have to agree.

The night tour leaves around 330pm so you still get a bit of daylight and lots of amazing sunset photos. After that, you get to go into the jail and see what it would have been like once the sun goes down.

By doing the night tour you get the normal experience that daytime visitors get, but you also get to see what the Hospital and Kitchen were like (day tours aren't allowed to visit this).

I would recommend the night tour without question if you can do it!

PS - It's not nearly as scary as you think....and it is a lot smaller than it looks too so there isn't a ton of walking!

2 Thank jeffsumm
Orem, UT
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Must see!! Take the night tour. Buy tickets well in advance”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We took the night tour on the suggestions of other reviewers, and also because other museums -Exploratorium, Legion of Honor-close at 5pm. This was an amazing experience. Everyone in our party was extremely impressed. Our Seniors used the electric tram to get to the top. The tram is the last of 3 groups to get to the top There is plenty of time to see everything. During the audio tour, take your time. If one area is too busy--the tiny door to see the exercise yard seemed to bottleneck- just pause your audio tour and explore a bit on your own, till it clears out. I couldn't get my headset to back up.
The view!! Oh, the view of San Francisco at night is spectacular.