“Must see!! Take the night tour. Buy tickets well in advance”
Review of Alcatraz Island

Alcatraz Admission and Small-Group Craft Brews and Bike Tour in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We took the night tour on the suggestions of other reviewers, and also because other museums -Exploratorium, Legion of Honor-close at 5pm. This was an amazing experience. Everyone in our party was extremely impressed. Our Seniors used the electric tram to get to the top. The tram is the last of 3 groups to get to the top There is plenty of time to see everything. During the audio tour, take your time. If one area is too busy--the tiny door to see the exercise yard seemed to bottleneck- just pause your audio tour and explore a bit on your own, till it clears out. I couldn't get my headset to back up.
The view!! Oh, the view of San Francisco at night is spectacular.

There are newer reviews for Alcatraz Island

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Everything about this place really fascinated me! The life of the prisoners, the life of the guards and their families, the escape attempts, the building and the island themselves... the audio tour does a fantastic job of bringing you into all these different aspects of life on Alcatraz. I thought it was compelling and well worth the money.

In the gift shop we bought a book written by one of the prisoners. Really cool to read about everything from his perspective.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

On a recent business trip to San Francisco my colleagues and I visited Alcatraz and thoroughly enjoyed our time on the island. Views from the island are beautiful and the history is fascinating. I did not have much knowledge about Alcatraz prior to this visit. I highly recommend the audio tour if you visit. The tour is self-guided, at your own pace, but the audio tour really makes the tour-very informative-felt like it took me back to that time. There is a lot of walking but again, you can go at your own pace and for those needing assistance they do have carts that will drive you to some parts of the island.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We visited alcatraz using the alcatraz cruises at pier 33, It was great. Definitly worth 2-3 hours for the tour and boat ride.

1  Thank connie o
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I liked this beautiful Island . I spent enjoyable time listening to famous criminals stories and watch the prison parts .I recommend it for all San francisco visitors. Important advise ; you have to book the tickets a few weeks before the visit . if you wait until arriving there , Most likely you will miss the chance to go there.

1  Thank Hayia