“No decor, but oh those dumplings!!”

Shanghai Dumpling King
Ranked #1,169 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I saw no evidence of greasy walls but the decor could be generously described as functional. We split five dishes amongst four of us and had far more food than we could eat. The relatively low prices allow you to order more rather then fewer dishes. The pot stickers and the crab and pork dumplings were amazing. Memorable. As in, next time I am in San Francisco (or maybe just near San Jose) I am going to come back here and have pot stickers and crab and pork dumplings. The pot stickers were so tasty I couldn't stop eating them and the crab and pork dumplings had a complexity and sophistication that was incongruous with our surroundings. Actually, I cannot even remember the other dishes we had. A true must visit.

1  Thank Attea146

Reviewed July 9, 2013

As far as dumplings go, that was very very pleasant. To my taste, I wish there was more variety, but what we had was fantastic. The service was the usual brisk busy Asian style, but it also was very fast to the point that we got a bit overwhelmed with all the orders raining down on us at once. We even tried to ask what is it and if that is what we have ordered just to see the back of the guy who dropped the plates on the run and was gone before we made a sound. Took me several tries to flag someone down and ask for a refill of the empty soy souse bottle and then two more reminders until it was accomplished. The place is so small that you share table with other customers. We found it beneficial, since our co-diners were local guys who helped us to order and answered many questions. But due to such sitting, at some point, I accidentally ate some dumplings from my neighbors box which was embarrassing. Still, we had extremely good time, sense of novelty, sense of discovery, great taste in our mouths and food in out hungry stomachs without much of a hit to our budget. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I read the reviews calling this place a "craphole" or otherwise complaining about the greasy dusty walls, etc. We went this evening and the dining area is painted a clean bright white and no grease or dust in sight. The dumplings, however, are still excellent! We ordered the Shanghai Steamed Dumplings, the Crab and Pork Dumplings and the Vegetable Dumplings. We both thought the vegetarian ones were the best. Those 3 orders were too much for us two women, so now we have leftovers! Give the vegetable ones a try when you go.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Husband is Asian-food freak. Found this place via TA, and despite reviews which warned of "crap-hole" status, we were not deterred. Best food in 5 days in San Francisco, and we ate well! Arrived mid-afternoon. Hadn't intended to eat so early, but we were in the 'hood and not likely to come back. Line at the door. "What should we have?" We asked the locals. "Soup dumplings." Waited about 10 minutes for a table in the small place. Every party that left staggered out past us, groaning from fullness and saying something akin to, "OMG that was so good." So as we were seated, we ordered soup dumplings. That's Shanghai steamed dumplings on appetizer menu. We also tried pork and chive dumplings. And waiter up-sold us on"green onion pancake." Pancake arrived first. Yum, we said, as we avoided looking at grubby, homely interior. Pork dumplings came next. "Wow," we said, as we ignored pancake thing. Then we KNEW we had ordered the right thing when waiter brought every table in the room the 'soup dumplings.' "Oh my God," we said, as we ignored pork dumplings, previously thought to be fabulous. We STUFFED ourselves on dumplings, because we weren't going to leave them uneaten. Seemed sinful. And we staggered out the door 45 minutes later, groaning. Every meal for the rest of the trip was graded on a curve compared to those dumplings. It's a "crap hole," indeed. Would eat there again in a heart beat.

2  Thank Sagicorn
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A little local storefront restaurant that usually has clients waiting in front to enjoy the delicious Shanghai style dumplings. Inexpensive and delicious.