“Escape to Thailand in North Beach!”
Review of Tuk Tuk Thai Cafe

Tuk Tuk Thai Cafe
Ranked #972 of 5,735 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Thai, Cafe
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Vancouver, Canada
“Escape to Thailand in North Beach!”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

North Beach is all about Italy and usually I'm up for it! Last year however I became vegan and eating traditional Italian food just isn't possible in restaurants anymore. I love to cook so I make my own vegan versions. Anyway we were hungry and had walked over 14 kms that day and came upon tiny insignificant-looking Tuk Tuk across from the cathedral and the park. It was exactly what I was hoping for only I had no idea how good it would turn out to be!!!!! the food was flavourful, delicious, inexpensive and served quickly and with a smile!!!! I am still in shock! I have eaten a LOT of Thai food and it has all been pretty good, but TUK TUK was so fresh! You could smell the lemongrass....mmmmmmmm! I am missing it a lot now tha tI am home again!! Anyway it is small , unassuming and great for an informal late lunch or dinner! Give the heavy Italian food a rest and go Thai in North Beach!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Foodyguru

Richmond, Virginia
“Good local place”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This place is a good local restaurant. We got the pad kee mao and pad thai. The pad thai was a little mushy and too sweet for our taste but the pad kee mao was very good. The food came out fast and was clearly fresh. They have a big menu, and the prices are reasonable. I wouldn't get the pad thai again, but I would go to try other things.
Also, if you can help it, use the restroom before you get here. You have to go through the kitchen to get to the little one stall restroom, which was functional, but I would recommend using other options if you have them.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank MoK87
San Francisco, California
“Bold flavors”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Really good flavors... kinda spot on. Been to Thailand and took Thai cooking classes in Bangkok so I know what's good Thai food and what's not. This place serves good food! My only complaint: their bill is written in Thai, which was totally baffling.

Visited August 2011
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by a local and are thankful we went. Try the soup in a red bean broth, which was amazing. We also had one of the rice dishes with holy basil - again, exceptional. Will 100% be returning.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Oliver K
Vancouver
“Great Food”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We had planned to eat at another restaurant but after being seated decided it was over priced so ended up leaving and walked down to the Tuk Tuk Thai instead. Glad we did. The food was delicious, service excellent and price incredible. It is nothing fancy but don't be turned off by the exterior - the food makes up for it. We ordered four dishes and couldn't even finish everything so took the rest home and it was eatten up the next day!!! Thanks Tuk Tuk Thai - we will return.

• Visited April 2012