“Great value...but it's not 1963 anymore”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Villa Rosa Restaurant
Ranked #184 of 277 Restaurants in Quincy
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Yarmouthport, MA
“Great value...but it's not 1963 anymore”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This Quincy neighborhood Italian spot has been in existence more than fifty years. First, the good news. My friend had the chicken and eggplant parm combo and took home a doggy bag worth two more meals. My chosen entree of Chicken Sorrento was also a huge portion which I ate in its entirety on the premises. It was an excellent combination of chicken with mushrooms, roasted red peppers, capicolla and mozzarella cheese in a white wine based sauce. Thank goodness I chose an entree without the tomato sauce, which I sampled in the side of pasta. It was underseasoned and tomato-ey. The salad was watery iceberg, the bread was soft and bland, and the Scotch on the rocks was small. Service was friendly but slow. After about a half hour sojourn from our dining area, our friendly waitress came out to apologize for the kitchen being backed up. The kitchen is indeed backed up -- to 1963. "Old school" is charming...this is just "old hat."

• Visited July 2014

Milton, Massachusetts
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Recently visited for the first time in many years. The pizza remains decent. The antipasto has not changed during the 35 years since my first visit. Sadly the service has always been inept to the point of being a distraction that ruins the experience. The waitress spilled most of my very small martini on the way to the table and then disappeared for long periods. It took her 15 minutes to bring a second drink for my wife. The ragged service and bad mixed drinks undermine a neighborhood restaurant that would otherwise have a role for us. We do not plan to return; there are too many better options nearby.

Visited May 2014
E Bridgewater, Ma.
“You love it or you hate it”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I love it! The pizza is great. It is thin crust. My wife likes extra sauce and no so much cheese. I like extra cheese and regular sauce. Here we are both happy with the same pizza. The prime rib special looks like something Fred Flintstone would eat (bone in). But the ambiance is dark the wait staff wear black. Kinda like an old Mafia movie! If that doesn't bother you then you'll like it. Antipasto salad is very good and fresh. Definitely a place to go back to.

• Visited June 2014
Braintree, Massachusetts
“Excellent service”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We had my daughters communion family party here for lunch and I have to say they went over and beyond for us. I have been going to this place since I was a baby and they really exceeded my expectations for my daughter's day. All the food was perfect and came out at the same time. We had no issues at all. Maria really accommodated me!! I highly recommend this place for dinner and functions.

Visited May 2014
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Worst Food I've ever Eaten..”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Today was my first and last dining experience here. Ordered an antipasto, presentation was horrible, looked like someone threw it together, 95 percent lettuce, couple pieces of salami and provolone, few olives and couple of cucumbers and dry tunafish. My husband ordered the steak tips, thought I'd try them out, tasted like the meat was not fresh and just about to turn but the marinade just covered the unpleasant taste and odor. He had a side of squash with chopped tomatoes, squash also had not fresh odor and taste. Ordered a to go eggplant parmesan for my friend, he said the bread wasn't fresh at all, the marinara sauce was bland and the eggplant was greasy. He tossed it out. Three strikes, your out. Did the chef work in a soup kitchen before? I pity the people who ate there. Service from the bartender/waiter and maitree d were very good though. This is my first negative complaint of any kind on travel advisor but felt it was necessary. My stomach actually felt upset as we drive home....Hated paying for the food...

• Visited May 2014