“Warm Hospitality, but Bungalows Can Be Noisy at Night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Llangolan Inn & Cottages
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The Inn is located a short driving distance from Bar Harbor and served by the island shuttle, making the location convenient. The hosts are simply terrific: personable, service-oriented, and always ready to land a hand. Some of bungalows, however, are located so close to a busy road that they can be noisy, even at night and definitely as early as 7 AM. So, light sleepers - beware!

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank WarmWhite

Reviewed September 3, 2010

This is a great little place for a long weekend in Bar Harbor as it is an excellent location for all the hiking trails and mountains to do long day hikes, and it is pet-friendly though pets are not allowed in their B&B, therefore, we stayed in one of their little cottages (#5-without a kitchenette). This cottage was extremely clean for a cottage (surprisingly, no spiders or webs even in the windows in need of repainting!!). I was thankfully amazed at the fact that it was very clean, top to bottom. The hosts did an excellent job being detailed oriented in their cleaning. The reason that I gave a 3 out of 5 for cleanliness is actually not the cleanliness of the cottage but the strong smell of sewage that eminated the small cottage when the accordian doors to the bathroom were not closed. It was on the repulsive side on the 3rd day and was glad to leave it.

They had a grill and a lobster boiler outdoors for guests to use which was also a nice surprise, though, we like to use our own portable grill which we had brought and the Travellin Lobster directly across the street was very convenient to have cook our lobsters for us while we showered after a long, wonderous day of hiking, then walk across the street to pick it up, bring it back to the picnic tables which each cottage had to enjoy... best I've ever had (the lobsters in Bar Harbor are one of a kind unlike other New England areas including other any other part of Maine south; just get it fresh any where; it doesn't matter; this place was a house with a side little shanty where the family sold live lobsters which the son catches in the morning; worth the slight increase in cost for the convenience to have fresh delicious lobster, local really super sweet corn (in season only), and super fresh mussels cooked with it.)... and we're from New England and had lobsters most everywhere!

The hosts have 2 dogs of their own; a sweet young Great Dane and I think it's a St. Bernard. They are very cute. The crab apple orchard area in the back was wide and the dogs loved running around (it was clean too). Stars are beautiful in the dark sky away from city glow, and there were NO mosquitos due to the drought this summer... but we were prepared.

The only other minor complaint I may have would be that I could hear a lot of cars and motor bikes going by once the sun came up, but it stopped once it was dark and we both had absolutely no issues sleeping. The bed (maybe queen or double size) was comfortable and clean too. Pillows were a little flat as I think they may down but I don't mind though my husband does. There was an extra pillow and enough extra blankets for cool nights. We met wonderful neighbors too.

They do have a weird disclaimer that caught my attention though... if they find dog paw prints on the furniture or bed sheets that they reserve the right to take your entire cost of your stay and kick you out. As they made this very clear on their website and on a piece of paper in the cottage, ... We took necessary precautions and we had no problems. They seem to love doggie guests though the male host (his name escapes me now but he's the husband) seem a little jumpy and quick to be defensive, and a stickler on his cottage policies even if you're not breaking them...like he's sending a general warning message during irrelevant general conversation... strange and slightly made me feel uneasy as he seemed a little unduely passive agressive... but I guess they keep the place super clean by this method. Besides, his wife balances him by being so nice.

I wanted to mention the sewage issue at check out as I thought maybe they didn't know and maybe there was a sewage leakage on the grounds but didn't feel that it was an appropriate time as the check out podium was directly next to the breakfast buffet counter which the B&B guests were in line for. As they advertise Trip Advisor on their website, I hope that they would notice and investigate the smell issue. It's such a shame as the whole place was so clean and you can tell the hosts made great effort to keep it that way. They are always running around working. Perhaps their septic tank is underneath cottage #5?

I think this cottage set-up is better than the others as it had individual rooms that can be closed when some of the others were like open studios though it wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately, the bathroom with the inserted, small shower stall (nice hot water) opened both to the small bedroom next to the bed and to the main room which the toilet was next to the refrigerator, toaster oven, microwave, and little food counter. The only bugs in the cottage were 2 types of little flys... one of which I recalled seeing during my many childhood travels in Southeast Asian jungles and mountains where I had to use disturbing, outdoor, open pitt toilets that dropped down many feet underneath my feet... you know, the small, dark flys with the v-shaped flat wings? They're synonymous with sewage in my mind. They weren't everywhere in the cottage but definately in every room but mainly in the toilet vacinity.

Please don't get discouraged by this as I am sure that the hosts will resolve this problem. This is an excellent place to stay and we would stay here again, but maybe ask for another cottage or be cautious. Another positive is that this property sits further back from the road (route 3) and far sunnier than most other cottage complexes in the area, like Primrose across the street which is right on the road. Also, a winery is across the street and next to the Travellin Lobster where you could sample (for free) New England wines... yes, I am aware that we don't have the weather to make any good wines... but I have to say, these folks had very interesting wines for our area... not the usual (i.e. one used apples instead of grapes; the Reserve was decent; the others... you be the judge but I thought they were repulsive but I don't like dessert type wines.)

I would stay at Llangolen for sure again! Give Llangolen a chance. We certainly will again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bassein33
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Although I considered booking at Rose Eden across the street, when we arrived, I was glad we hadn't. I was most impressed by the space between the cottages, the cleanliness of the cottages, and the easy access to a free shuttle. Not only was Peter willing (and very able) to give pamphlets and instructions to nearby attractions, but he was also willing to leave our cabin unlocked for our late arrival. Although the cabins were located on a busy road, there was virtually no traffic at night, which made for a quiet sleep and an easily found location. The only downside to our visit was the lack of wireless accessibility, we were the most outlying cabin (#7) and the only connectivity we could find was on the picnic table outside (an okay alternative). The best part of our visit was after our departure, I left a down pillow that I'm crazy about, and the best part: they mailed it back to me...for FREE! We had a blast in Acadia, and our little cabin was so dog-friendly, they even left a towel designated for our pup!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NHandBeyond
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend for the 4th of July weekend. We stayed at the Inn (one queen size bed, upstairs), and shared a bathroom with another room. I had neved stayed at a place were I had to share a bathroom, but it actually worked out fine. I mean think about it, most of the time people are outside of the Inn anyway (Acadia National Park....hello!)

I would have prefered one of the cottages for more privacy but the accomodations at the Inn were very nice, comfortable and pretty. The breakfast was also very good. I really can't beleive that I got all of this for only $75/night.

It really is a nice place to stay, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aroostookian
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed in cottage 3 for one night, the only one available, which is common availability, especially if you book only days ahead. The reason why we booked…dogs! They were very well welcomed and encouraged to be part of the ever-changing cottage community that is around. The cottages are situated in a half circle facing the main house which is the B&B (no pets) with a big grassy area in the middle. Behind the cottages and across the street (not the main highway) is a small apple orchard that your pets are able to do their business and sniff out wild creature smells in, VERY NICE!! I can for once let my dogs run around and sniff in a yard area instead of a strip of grass next to the road or parking lot! Also, up that same road is…the ocean!! It’s about ¼ mile very nice quaint and quiet bay.

So about the actual stay… as I said we stayed in cottage 3, room for 4 people. Four people would fit comfortably in there. One queen bed in the main room with kitchenette and table and a separate room with two twin beds with access to the bathroom from both rooms (it is a bit of a squeeze around the bed to get into the bathroom, but its fine.) The cottage is exactly as pictured with a cute front porch that is so nice to sit on and mingle with other visitors and soak up the cool night breeze or warm morning sun. It was clean and offered dish soap and sponge and amenities. The cabins themselves are antique, very nice to stay in, they compliment the surrounding area.

Peter checked us in…very nice and welcoming. It took about 10 minutes to check in just because we were talking about all of the stuff to do. He offered to warm the lobster pot up(at no extra charge) if we wanted to bring back our own live lobsters instead of going to one of those you see along the highway. That was very welcoming and unexpected, but very Maine-like! He also told us of the ocean nearby for the dogs and the apple orchard. In the morning, we found him mingling with our neighbors, who are regulars. I found this very reassuring.

Some things you should know…air conditioning is not common in Maine….you’re in Down East Maine, a lot of New Hampshire doesn’t even have air conditioning. If you want something fancy, go stay at a Holiday Inn. Open your door and window, it’s called a crosswind. It will wisk the hot air out of your cabin and let in the fresh mid-summers night breeze. I felt totally safe with only the screen door securing the cabin at night. Occasionally the cat will try to get in, but he/she is friendly. This place is a country type of place on the outskirts of town. Think of it as camping, without all the bugs and your very own nice little bungalow with a shower. If you stay in the cabins, you do not get breakfast (again, not Holiday Inn) because you have a kitchenette. People come up to Bar Harbor to do outdoor activities and relax, not to be hustled by the city life.

We will/are booking again!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LitlRed31
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in a cottage for 2. We found the cottage immaculate and the kitchenette was well-stocked with a small refrigerator, microwave, plates, utensils and pots and pans. The bed was comfortable and the room was large enough for the 2 of us. Although our cabin was closest one to the road, traffic quieted down at night and we were not disturbed, even with the windows open. The owners were friendly and, as long-time residents of the area, gave good tips for restaurants. More importantly, they knew and shared a lot of the history of Bar Harbor. They kindly extended the check-out time by an hour for us. If you want to stay in the town of Bar Harbor itself, then the location of the Llangolan would be a downside because it is located several miles from the town. For us this was not a problem and actually an asset. The area tourist bus stopped very close to the Llangolan so you would not have to drive to town. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ghostwriter50
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed in the B & B. Let me start with the positive that the bed was very comfortable. The rooms were decorated very quaint and charming. The sign in the room said only housekeeping that will be done is changing towels and emptying trash cans. This was not done. The breakfast was sufficient, granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, muffins, english muffins, etc. The rooms are not air conditioned. Each room had a ceiling fan but it was still warm at night and my husband was not comfortable sleeping. The owners were not accessible. I've stayed in other B & B's and the owners were always very friendly and sociable with their guests. We were the only guest the first night. The 2nd night another couple checked in. For the price it was fine but would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple