“Great service, nice rooms”

Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Northampton, MA
“Great service, nice rooms”
Reviewed June 15, 2006

I stayed here for five nights in early June, in both the Stenna Nordica section and Mizzentop. The rooms are very comfortable and the pool/spa is great. There were some problems--it seems a lot of school tours happen this time of year. One night about 8 carloads of families with young kids arrived and used the parking lot as a playground and mobbed the pool/spa. The next night a busload of teenagers arrived and were extremely noisy. The same night the hotel's boiler broke and there was no hot water. I talked to the front desk about this the next morning, and they immediately apologized and upgraded me to a beautiful 4th floor suite in Mizzentop, no questions asked, for the remainder of my trip.

Although I can't afford to stay here in the peak season, this place is a great deal in the spring and late fall. And the staff is extraordinary.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank irondad55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Our family of four (two 40ish parents, two children under 6) stayed here for the week preceding Memorial Day, and I can't find enough superlatives to relate our experience. The facilities and staff were top-notch, and we found the hotel to be an excellent value.

We stayed in the Mizzentop building on the 2nd floor -- my one and only regret is that I didn't request a room on the 4th floor for a better view. Our spacious room was in pristine condition, the two queen beds had firm, supportive mattresses, the gas fireplace was a nice touch and we spent a lot of time on our balcony admiring the views of Frenchman's Bay above the trees. the bathroom was expansive; I always prefer a vanity/mirror area away from the toilet and shower, and our room featured a double-sink vanity with plenty of counter space outside a closed toilet/shower area (perfect!)

The mostly Jamaican staff was eager to please and went out of their way to make our stay special. It helped that the hotel was nowhere near full occupancy -- we had booked just before the season began in hopes of finding the town a bit quieter and with fingers crossed for good weather. OK, the great off-season rate was a factor, too. Well, the hotel was so uncrowded that we had the indoor pool and hot tub to ourselves every time we used it. We dined in the Great Room and enjoyed the piano playing of Bill Trowell one evening...by ourselves for an entire 90 minutes. Our breakfasts in the Rinehart Wonder View Restaurant were quiet as well (the adjacent Wonder View Inn and restaurant are owned by the same hotel group that owns the Bluenose, the Lafayette group). We enjoyed the same fantastic, friendly service at the Rinehart Wonder View estaurant as well. Back at the Bluenose, our multiple room service orders arrived quickly and were always the correct temperature, and any questions about room service were cheerfully answered by Kevin.

This hotel met and exceeded all our expectations!

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank Frances17033
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from Bar Harbor, Maine. The Bluenose Inn is a magnificient hotel. The service was incredible. We enjoyed our stay at the Bluenose Inn and thank the staff for everything they did to make our stay so great. We will definitly stay at the hotel again.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
usa
Reviewed May 8, 2006

I often travel with my husband on travel, and we have stayed at some wonderful hotels. However, the Bar Harbor Hotel is my absolute favorite for when we go away for some couple time. I absolutely adore this hotel. The staff are professional and friendly, and the facility is first rate. We enjoy the pool area because of the elegant atmosphere, and the whirlpool is great. We like to stay in the Mizzentop, with a fireplace and private balcony. To me, this is the perfect couple escape. The area has lots to do, from the park to the fun shopping in the downtown area. We like this hotel because it is in a more quiet location, with a more distant view of the harbor. We could see the sunrise from our balcony. Kudos to the management of this establishment. Job well done.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank lakebuzzell
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We had a luxery room and a regular room in the second row. Both a very good and comfortable. Especially good is the indoor pool. The lobby with the bar is very inviting for a drink in the evening. On booking we had the impression you can walk to the center. You can do it - but it takes some time.

4 Thank sweetmarie
Baltimore
Reviewed November 15, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Bluenose the end of September 2005. We stayed in the Mizzentop on the 4th floor which offers the best views. It was absolutely gorgeous! The rooms were decorated in solid wood Queen Ann style furniture with glass tops for protection. The pink and flowered decorations complemented the furniture and it's time period. It was very comfortable and relaxing. The service was wonderful too. I asked for a few extra pillows and some extra decaf coffee and they were brought right away. You could see the harbor from our balcony and it was beautiful. The pool, hot tub and gym area are located across the parking lot from the hotel. If it were a real chilly night, you would get cold coming back to your room after a dip. For us it was fairly nice so we didn't mind. Since we went the end of September when most kids are back in school, we had the entire pool to ourselves! The hotel is not directly on the water, but you can see it in the near distance. Walking to the town of Bar Harbor would be a bit of a hike from the hotel for most. We drove and found parking even though there was a cruise ship docked. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we would stay again. The only drawback for some people may be the price. The Mizzentop 4th floor room we stayed in was $325 a night. To me it was well worth it because I wanted to be pampered. We got room service in the morning and turn down service at night. This is definitely one of Bar Harbor's luxury hotels.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank Angel48
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 27, 2005

My husband and I were extremely surprised by the outstanding level of professional service at this hotel. From the time the doorman opened the door for me to the exceptional turndown service, every detail was taken care of. Our dinners at the Rose Garden were supberb- as was the wonderful service of the restaurant staff- especially that of Kevin, our host. He was charming and funny and made the experience even more memorable. We can't wait to go back!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member