“Nice view but....”

Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed August 6, 2005

My husband and I stayed at this property for his birthday. We selected a package rate and our room was in the Stena Nordica building. This building is a motel building. We chose to stay in Stena Nordica because we knew we wouldn't be spending too much time in our room. I think that the rates for these rooms are too high. The view overlooking Frenchman's bay is breathtaking. Our package included breakfast and dinner. While the food was good, the service for our first breakfast and dinner was appaling. Maybe the waitstaff needed a day off, but considering the amount of money we spent, I was underwhelmed.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

East Windsor, CT
Reviewed August 4, 2005

We booked this hotel last minute based on Trip Advisor Reviews. The only complaint I had was that for $229 a night, I expected a lot more. It was very clean, very well appointed hotel room, but it didn't seem like anything to write home about. It's not right on the ocean like I imagined - (see the view from room 225 in the attached photos), the foot traffic above us was noisy, the room was a standard hotel/motel room size, and the hot tub was barely warm. And we ended up driving into town each night rather than walking the distance along the busy road. There were good things too, like lots of cable channels, chairs outside the rooms which were a great place to just sit outside and relax (which lots of people in the building seemed to be doing), immaculately clean, with nice people and nice pools. I think Mizzentop must be the AAA 4 Diamond-rated building though - not Stenna.

Overall, it was a great place, but overpriced.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Stayed 3 nights at the Bluenose Inn for our 25th wedding anniversery. Kids came with us and had their own room. We stayed in the most expensive end room and generally had a good stay. However, the rooms lack any attempt to make the experience warm and unique. The very large room was so large it looked poorly proportioned and should have been split into a separate bedroom with a wall and door. Even though the room was very large, there was no place to go if one person wanted to watch TV and the other wanted to read. Even the bathroom sinks were part of the large room. The pools inside and out were quite cold even though the days were hot and the pools "heated". Dinner at the Rose room restaurant was fine if too expensive and uninteresting. It was a 5 block walk to town which was not fun in the heat and a long uphill going back. For the price, I'll go somewhere else next time.

10  Thank GoIndians
Reviewed July 20, 2005

My new wife and I checked into the Bluenose Inn to enjoy our honeymoon! And, did we ever!! The complimentary champagne in ice bucket ( handmade stoneware we were to keep!!)and lovely note from the staff made our honeymoon start out with a wonderful welcome! It was absolutely the most magnificent room and awesome view! Our housekeeper even referred to us by name and congratulated us!! My goodness!! We felt like royalty! Dinner at the Rose Garden was all we expected, and more! Chef Carlos created dinner fit for a King and his Queen! Service was incredible!! We had a spectular time and will return! Thank you Bluenose Inn!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2005

The view is only part of the story at the Bluenose. From the time the doorman opened the door to me to the time he closed it as I left, I felt pampered. The staff at the Bluenose treat you like they REALLY want you in their hotel. It doesn't seem like they were just going through the motions, like I've seen at other 4 star hotels.
As an example, we ate dinner in the Rose Room. It was wonderful, but I had a problem. The problem was mine, not the restaurant's. Kevin, my server, took personal responsibility, and immediately resolved the issue. I felt like a welcome guest at a dinner party.
The staff make this hotel great. The beautiful room and the stunning view were the icing on the cake. We'll be back.

Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank H2OGuy
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I recently attended a three day meeting at the Bluenose Inn. What a beautiful property. My room had an incredible view of the ocean. It was nice to sit by the fireplace in my room and watch the boats in the harbor. The restaurant was first class. The staff was very attentive and the food was delicious. The room which the meeting was held in was decorated beautifully and also overlooked the harbor. I would recommend this property to anyone visiting the Bar Harbor area.

7  Thank mbrown1234
Reviewed June 5, 2005

I had the pleasure of spending three nights at the Bluenose in May of this year. The hotel was wonderful. Their indoor pool was the perfect placce to relax on the cool days in May and their Great Room Lounge was great place to relax after a long day of meetings and site seeing. Their restaurant was also wonderful and very deserving of the four diamond rating from AAA. Finally, I cannot say enough about the staff. The front desk clerks and housekeepers all went out of their way to make sure that we had a great stay. This is one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stay in. I hope to get back some time this summer.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business