“Wonderful hotel in Bar Harbor, Maine”

Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Located just a few miles from the entrance to Acadia National Park, the Bluenose Inn is a wonderful hotel. The views from our balcony of Bar Harbor, the bay, and many islands is spectacular. The rooms are large, well furnished, and immaculate. Ours even has a fireplace.
The great room just off the lobby is a wonderful place to have a drink, read a book, meet friends, or listen to some fine piano playing. Coupled with the beauty of Acadia National Park, this is a great place to stay.

I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Top floor, two room suites are incredible - fireplaces, views, furnishings, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We feel that we are the perfect "fit" for Acadia National Park and love it when our guests take full advantage of our beautiful surroundings and then let us pamper you with the relaxation of the Great Room, music, the spa or our top notch restaurant The Looking Glass.

I hope you will come back to Bar Harbor again and give us the opportunity to host you again. Thank you!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My kids are still asking to go back to the Bluenose! Was hands down the best hotel stay we had during a road trip through Maine. The pool is beautiful! We stayed across the parking lot in that building (close to pool). The rooms were very quiet and clean. When we return to Bar Harbor, the Bluenose will be the only hotel for us!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

What a terrific review. Thank you. I can still remember those peak experiences on vacation with the family as a child and it is wonderful to know that your children feel that way about us.

It sounds like the pool was a great hit and I hope you enjoyed our restaurant The Looking Glass as well.

We are very happy to hear that you will be coming back to our beautiful town of Bar Harbor and that we can have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

What a wonderful place! So clean and beautiful! You went above and beyond by putting the bucket of Sparkling Cider, Ice and glasses in our room! IT was a wonderful surprise!!! We were so shocked! We don't like Champagne so it was PERFECT!!! Made our 30th Anniversary complete!!! THANK YOU!!!! Such friendly people!! We will be back for sure!!!

1  Thank Laurie T

Thank you for sharing your 30th anniversary with us. We are very happy to hear that we were able to help you make it everything such a special occasion should be.

We especially enjoy our guests who make this "their" place in Bar Harbor. We certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We discovered the Blue Nose in the 90's and revisited in 2002. We always looked forward to going to the Great Room and hearing Bill Trowell play the piano. He is truly one of the best you will find. Therefore, we did not think twice about where we would stay on our recent visit. We were traveling with friends to celebrate our husband's 60th birthday. Our two Mizzentop Suites were next to each other and pretty much the same. Our friends had a newer a/c that worked better than ours but that seemed to be the only difference. I agree with other reviews that the furnishings are dated as are the bathrooms. Everything was clean as I remembered which shows that management is trying to maintain a high standard. Our friends like to keep the patio door open and found the road noise to be disturbing. We found the mattress to be poor. When one person got up the bed shook. It seemed to have a feather bed on top of the mattress which did not help much,

Our major disappointment was that their wonderful restaurant The Rose Garden was no longer there. We had reservations at the Looking Glass atop the hill. We walked up as no one told us they offered a ride on their golf cart to guests. We were surprised to see so many tourists sitting in large groups eating lobster. I think we were the only guests that were not part of this group. Our waitress told us she was new and we tried to be patient with her but things went from bad to worse. It took her over 20 minutes to bring our bottle of wine. Things got so bad that my husband got up and left. The remaining 3 of us tried to eat the rubbery lobster but just could not. I finally complained to the manager and he comped our meal. He sent for the golf cart to take us back to the hotel. As we were leaving he told us if we were coming for breakfast to wait till after 8 as the bus crowd would be gone by then. I conjured memories of the Rose Garden and wanted to cry. We went to the Great Room and found my husband having pizza that he had delivered from a local restaurant. Then I saw Bill and the disasterous evening got better. He remembered my husband and me and treated our friends as if he knew them as well. We ended each evening listening to his wonderful music. He was the highlight of our trip to Bar Harbor.

Our stay was toward the end of May and we were not told of the managers welcoming party. I do not know if they were not doing it yet as summer had not started but they should. It would be a nice touch.

Room Tip: Mizzentop suites are the best although they need to be updated. This hotel seems to be a stop for f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patty B
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property after your recent stay. It is always a treat for us to hear from guests who have come back numerous times over the years. Bill Trowell is truly a treasure and we appreciate that you recognize his amazing talent.

It sounds like you had some bumps in your experience with us this time and for that I want to give my sincere apology. We pride ourselves on customer service and sincerely hope that our guests will feel comfortable giving us feedback as opportunities for improvement arise so that we can address them right away.

I sincerely hope that when you return to Bar Harbor you will introduce yourself so that I can make sure that your next experience is superior. We probably were not hosting our Manager Receptions yet if you were here in May, but please know that I still want to meet you. I am always here on the property and look forward to it next time.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is such a beautiful hotel! Gorgeous views overlooking Frenchman's Bay, this hotel went out of their way to make sure our stay was exceptional. We were there during the power outage on the 5th, the management kept us up to date on everything that was going on. The staff were very inviting and gave us great recommendations for things to do in the area!! Dinner at The Looking Glass Restaurant on the 4th was outstanding! The piano bar was wonderful. The indoor and outdoor pools were great as well. Wished I had got to use the spa! The rooms are spacious, bathrooms a little small, but not a big deal... I would highly recommend this hotel within distance downtown Bar Harbor as well as Acadia National Park. Can't wait to visit Bar Harbor and the BlueNose Inn again. Thanks again for an amazing vacation!! Can't say enough great things about the BlueNose Inn!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. You won't be disappointed!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for your excellent comments. I will certainly pass them along to the staff. We feel very honored that you have complimented us to this degree. We sincerely hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Bar Harbor, that you will come back to see us.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Our stay at the charming BlueNose Inn was spectacular. We made ample use of both the indoor and outdoor pools, the spa, the gym, the lounge area (including the nightly piano recitals), and most definitely the wonderful "Looking Glass" restaurant at the top of the hill.

Our spacious Mizzentop suite had a private balcony with an excellent view of the harbor, was and nicely appointed and accommodated us and our two young children easily.

The staff was outstanding and attentive with a special shout out to Jim Ash, the General Manager. Though we lost power on the first evening, the staff helped us with updates and restaurant recommendations - they were even kind enough to extend our stay by a night at no charge.

I strongly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the Mizzentop suites.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

I wish to sincerely thank you for your very kind words from your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed our amenities to include both the indoor and outdoor pools, the gym, and the lounge. Also thrilled that you enjoyed our Looking Glass restaurant. Your point about the children reinforced the fact that we are indeed a family resort.
I appreciate your comment about me but it is my staff who are some of the most customer service oriented people that I have worked with and did a spectacular job during the lengthy power outage that should be commended.
I do hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Maine we will see you and your family once again at the Bluenose.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This place was beautiful! And the service was great! Everyone was so nice--went above and beyond on numerous occasions. I typically don't hang out in the hotel bar, but they had a piano player that was fantastic. The restaurant was very good as well. The room was very nice. The bathroom was a little small, mostly just lacking counter space, but worth all the others positives. The only thing that surprised us was the pictures don't reveal that your balcony overlooking the water is not a private balcony. Again, not a deal breaker, more just for information. I would totally recommend this place to stay.

1  Thank Kathleen L

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. Your comments about the staff were especially rewarding. I am also happy that you enjoyed our pianist, Bill Trowell, who is an extremely talented musician who has been with the property now for 18 seasons and simply does a tremendous job. He plays every evening as you discovered from 7 to 11 p.m. I do hope that when you travel back to New England that you make the Bluenose once again one of your destinations points. We thank you for your support and recommendation.