1,084 results
All reviews looking glass restaurant great room piano player massage chair the stenna nordica building indoor pool mizzentop room frenchman's bay main building steam room gas fireplace double sinks private balcony in town fourth floor the general manager acadia national park
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 weekday nights and loved the entire facility. We stayed in the Stenna Nordica building across from the main building and loved our views of the bay and Bar Island. The room was great and we took full advantage of both the indoor and outdoor pools and facilities. The location was very well situated- high up to be able to see the sweeping views and only a 1 mile walk to the main pier. My only complaint (which has nothing to do specifically with the hotel) was that the roads leading to the downtown area were not very conducive to walking. There wasn't much of a sidewalk to walk on Eden St, and it wasn't very well lit. That aside- I would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2013
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank your for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Bluenose Inn. I am so happy that you enjoyed the room, the views and the amenities. As you pointed out ,our location is just a 1 mile walk or drive to the pier and only minutes from Acadia National Park. Regarding your complaint about the sidewalks, this is one that the Town of Bar Harbor is addressing so hopefully upon your return, this will not be an issue. I sincerely hope that you will return to Bar Harbor and the Bluenose and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I booked a room here from Expedia, and it seemed like a good deal for the time of year. We got a room in the older part of the hotel. However, we were on the third floor and even though it was a shared deck area the view was fabulous. We enjoyed a lovely toast with no one else around. My husband captured a priceless picture of the sunset the next morning as well. The bed was large and comfy with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was small, but sufficient for just the two of us. Nothing fancy for sure. The furniture was older, but it was clean and smelled nicely. My biggest complaint was that the air conditioner made a weird noise, and there was no bathroom fan to drown out the noises. It made it difficult to sleep listening to the people walking around in the next room. Some sort of fan or white noise machine would make all the difference in the world. My husband and I enjoyed the indoor pool since it was empty. A pretty place, and people also seemed to be enjoying the outdoor pool. There was only one elevator and it was a bit of a walk. It may be difficult for someone who can not walk long distances or stairs. All in all a decent value, and even though you could walk to town we drove. It would be a dark walk at night.

Room tip: Ask for the third floor!
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent weekend getaway to the Bluenose Inn. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the spectacular views offered by the property as well as the indoor pool. It appears that while you stated the bathroom was small, it was sufficient for the two of you. Regarding the a/c, we did replace several units this season and I believe the room you stayed in was one of them although unfortunately this happened after your departure. We will certainly explore your idea about white noise. I am glad that you thought it was a decent value and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My two teens and I just returned fro our stay. The room was super spacious with very comfy beds. I requested a cot for my son when I booked the room, and it was in the room when we arrived; he was thrilled! My hair dryer broke so I let the front desk know that I would need a new one for the next day, and within 5 mins a bellman was at our door with a brand new one. The pool is beautiful and again, I called to report no spa towels at the pool, and within 5 minutes, the bellman was there with a stack of clean towels. The decor is a bit dated, but everything is very clean and the front desk and support staff were all wonderful. We will be back!

Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the room and the amenities. I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with the hairdryer and pool towels but glad that you felt that we quickly remedied the problems. Our housekeeping staff was obviously quite pleased with your comment about the cleanliness of the property and the front office and support staff were also very happy with your remarks. Your statement that you will be back says it all. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We recently traveled to MDI and Bar Harbor. I really deliberated about hotels, but ultimately trusted AAA four diamond rating of Bluenose. I can not for the life of me figure out how they got such a rating. The facility is old, the furniture is worn, indoor pool area is run down. Old style bathrooms with single inconvenient sink, wall unit air conditioners that were unbelievably loud.

It appears this hotel caters to senior citizens and there were two separate tour bus groups there while we were.

Service was average at best. It was like pulling teeth from the front staff to get any restaurant recommendations.

The room (in the front building overlooking the road and not direct views of Frenchman's Bay), was dated and worn, thin old towels.

The hotel is not right in town.

When I return to Bar Harbor I will stay in town at either Harborside or West Street Hotel. Very disappointing.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank TravelGasser

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. I deeply apologize that we did not meet your expectations. While I appreciate your concerns, I would like to address each of your points. The main hotel is 21 years of age, if you consider that old, so be it. The furnishings, while of a style and motif may not be pleasing to all, is not worn excepting a few pieces that are being replaced and the indoor pool is certainly not run down as evidenced by the many favorable comments on this site and others. Some of the bathrooms are indeed old style with only one sink, this is certainly true and the a/c units are in the process of being replaced and some are rather loud. This hotel does not cater to just senior citizens but people of all ages as evidenced by the fact that we have a large contingent of young children here in the summer. We do, as you pointed out ,bring in tour buses with visitors from literally all over the world but the competition you alluded to does the same. We pride ourselves in our service and are very disappointed that you felt it was average at best.
Overall, it is obvious that you did not enjoy your stay. However, we would like the opportunity to give us another chance. Therefore I am offering you two nights of complimentary lodging based only on availability through 2014. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at The Bluenose Inn. When we booked the room I understood it to be, direct from their website, "Choose from 45 comfortable rooms in our three level Stenna Nordica building and you will enjoy immaculate accommodations, most with spectacular views of Frenchman Bay." Let say that as the front desk called it "The Motel" portion of the hotel is not worth even half of what they are charging. Had we known this was how they referred to it we would have passed. The room is not air conditioned with regularity and at ground level making everything in the room damp. The air conditioning wall unit works but they don't leave it running to dry the rooms out giving them a musty damp smell. The carpet is extremely old and full of stains. (See photo). The sink is very slow to drain and there is a back side of the room window in the bathroom making it VERY unsecure. Rooms keys are old school keys and the deadbolts on the rooms do NOT work from the outside. With a community balcony where everyone walks past your room it is very unsecure when leaving. Everyone walks by your room looking in as they pass by.
When we asked about a room change, we were told that it would be $140 more per night and we had to change rooms for the second night. The front desk was not willing to help us out beyond this.
If you decide to stay here, make sure you are in the main building not the Stenna Nordica building. The room rate of $290+ per night is outrageous and is the quality level of $89 per night.
I will also say that I am not the person out looking for a deal or the cheapest place to stay. I will pay good money for a nice place.
We will not be returning here again.

Date of stay: August 2013
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the property. While we certainly did not meet your expectations, I would like to comment on some of your criticisms.
1. Regarding the rates, they are clearly in line with the market for high season in Bar Harbor. While I concur that it is not cheap, this is one of the busiest times of the year.
2. We have had an extraordinary amount of rain recently that perhaps led to the damp conditions that you observed. I personally checked the room today and there is no musty odor at present.
3. You are correct, there is a rather large stain on the carpet. We contract out for deep cleaning and stain removals but this is on a scheduled basis and this particular room is on the next list. While this did not help you, I did wish to explain that we do not ignore it.
4. Room keys are old school and frankly many of our guests seem very happy with this. You will find many hotels in New England that still use regular keys in lieu of the electronic ones. You mentioned that the deadbolt was not operating properly. For this we apologize and will remedy the situation immediately. This is the first complaint we have had in this regard.
5. The drain that you alluded to as being slow will certainly be looked at.
6. You had noted in the picture that there is mold around the tub. While the grout needs some attention, we have concluded that it is not mold.
I am sorry you were not happy with your accommodations. I think when looking through other reviews, your issues are clearly the exception. Saying this however our goal is to make you happy and hopefully return. Therefore should your travels bring you back to Bar Harbor we are offering one night's lodging complimentary through 2014 to hopefully make amends.