“Pleasant memories from Bar Harbor Maine”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Facility was immaculate, service excellant, price reasonable: however we stayed at end of season when rates are substantially lower than mid-season. This is one of older facilities in Bar Harbor, and therefore they have prime location on the water.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank byumama
Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed September 21, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. We had booked an ocean view room, but when we arrived we were told the guests who had been staying in our room the prior night had decided to remain and they couldn't do anything about it. They gave us a bit of a discount to move us into a parking lot view room that seemed a bit dingy, so we were somewhat disappointed and asked to be moved to another (ocean view) room the next night. When we were finally moved, the room was lovely! And the pool area was amazing!

The only other complaint I had was that it was a bit out of town and the only form of transportation they had to bring you in town was the shuttle that stopped at all the hotels, so it would have been quicker to walk.

Not bad overall and there is potential, but I definitely think there are nicer, more affordable hotels in Bar Harbor than the Regency.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank summerrhi
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I was told that our president stayed in this hotel and I expected this is an upscale hotel.
The buildings were nice and garden are beautiful but generally manything were not functioning. Staffs are friendly and nice but incompetent.

I arrived 2am, the recreationalist was about to charge no show charge but fixed and charged original price by contacting manager.

Bath tab does not close and plug did not work. The shower was OK not so great. There were handles for older people for the bath tab but there was no elevator for the building I stayed.

Air condition was not working well. I could not control the temperature and it was too cold. I talked to the front desk but they just said, that maintenance were gone for the day. Wakeup call did not work.

The room was big. There was a fridge but no microwave oven. My room was ocean view with large veranda but the door to the veranda was hard to open. Ocean view was great. Hallways were cratered. Meeting room was nice but internet slows down time to time.

Breakfast bar is $14 but worse than breakfast in some of Holliday Inn express.

It is about one mile to Bar Harbor town center. Since there is no parking space in down town this is great. There was a free shuttle to down town.

Presidential suite is $600/per night. I hope he had a good time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Sunpillar
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Disappointed. While I have been to worse places; this place is a far cry from a luxury hotel. We arrived on an extended New England tour (private) and there was a room mix up. There was no valet or bellman. The front desk was querky --- maybe this is part of the local culture. Nice but not very efficient or well informed.
The rooms, while adequate, were old and tired.
The hotel is neither fish nor fowl --- not close to town and not rustic. If stretching I would call it average.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank FilsProdigue
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I let my guard down on this trip and let the hotel chose my room. They chose a lousy room for us (Rm 1002) in the Corfield Wing, right near the elevator, headboard against the elevator machinery room. The noise was unbearable until very late in the night. Front desk management promised to move our room and gave us a hard time when we returned and we found out our room not changed, claiming that our bags were not packed and ready. If we did not create a scene at the lobby desk, and threaten to check out, they would not have given us a room change. The light fixture switch in the 1st room was broken & the remote control in the 2nd room was inoperable. The hotel is in a great location by the sea, 1.5 mi from downtown Bar Harbor and the grounds were serene and well kept. The breakfast buffet was excellent and a good value. The hotel fit our anniversary weekend well, as it was beautiful, cozy and romantic. The fitness center was not well kept. It had a broken machine and no cups at the water cooler. The swimming pool was kept clean but some lounge furniture was broken. The staff at the front desk needs better training in customer service. In the price range we paid, this hotel would be the default choice and not the first choice, but customer service aside; we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank InspGadget
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Just had a 3 day great stay at the Bar Harbor Regency/Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort. Had an ocean view room looking out over the pool. At first I thought this hotel was pricey (based on it being a holiday inn) but it was well worth the cost. Pool and hot tub were great in the evening. Proximity to town is about 1 mile, there is a free bus, but we did not use, we found plenty of free parking in town.
Great meals at area restaurants, check the Chart Room, and hotel buffet was good for breakfast.
Beer lovers check out Atlantic Brewing Company, great tastings available.

Rooms are slightly dated but hotel property makes up for it (stayed in the main building).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I will address the hotel, then some travel tips.

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Regency for 3 nights at the end of August 2010. I am a little surprised at a couple of recent negative reviews, as we had a very good experience with the hotel. We had booked an ocean view room, but the front desk upgraded us to an ocean front with a balcony. The room was very clean, well appointed and extremely quiet. All the staff members that we dealt with (front desk, housekeeping, restaurant) were pleasant, professional and helpful. We ate in 3 restaurants --- the main one, the poolside bar, and the lobster pound. The food was very good, and reasonably priced, at all three. The exercise room is small but adequate. We checked out tennis racquets and balls from the front desk and used the courts.

Now for some travel tips. We spent most of our time in Acadia National Park, driving, hiking and bicycling.

We rented bicycles from Bar Harbor Bikes, as opposed to the main competitor, Acadia Bikes, because several of the reviews indicated that Bar Harbor Bikes purchased new bicycles every year, while Acadia’s bikes were several years old. The bicycles they gave my wife and I were fine, but the one they provided to my 14 year old daughter was barely adequate. We rented them for a half-day (4 hours). When we returned them, the lady at the counter wanted to charge me for a full day, as we had returned them 5 minutes (!!!) past the 4 hours. When I mentioned that after filling out the paperwork to rent them, we had to wait on the sidewalk for 40 minutes before the busy shop crew could fit bicycles for us, she got very angry and asked what I wanted to pay. I told her I was perfectly happy to pay for the 4 hours. She tore up the paperwork, rang up a new bill, then threw my credit card at me. I later spoke with a number of people who rented from Acadia Bikes and they were extremely happy with their experience.

Restaurants --- outside of the hotel we ate at Maggie’s Restaurant (fantastic!) and Abel’s Lobster Pound (great food, fantastic setting, wonderful staff, but expensive). We tried to get into Havana and Mache Bistro, but both were booked 2-3 days in advance. We had reservations at The Burning Tree, but cancelled them to go to the theater instead. The ice cream at Ben and Bill’s is great. MDI Ice Cream offers some unusual flavors, such as chocolate-and-wasabi, and grapefruit-and-cucumber.

We went to the Acadia Repertory Theatre in Somesville for a performance of Agatha Christie’s “Death on the Nile.” Very well done for a local repertory cast and the theater is small enough that every seat is good.

Finally, we purchased a book on tide pools from the Acadia National Park visitor’s center, then went tide pooling at low tide (about an hour before sunset on that day) at the foot of the Wonderland Trail. Great experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family