“Best Hotel in Bar Harbor”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
philadelphia
“Best Hotel in Bar Harbor”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 teenage daughters and absolutely loved this hotel. It was very clean,friendly staff, had 2 great restaurants on the water, and had an awesome pool. Great location, short ride into town with lots of restaurants and shopping. Some of the best restaurants were Testa's, Getty's, The Quarterdeck, Stewman's-at the hotel and in town, and the Cottage Street Cafe. Also went to Improv Acadia which was awesome, we went 2 nights, family show at 8 and adult show at 10. Only $15.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We had a room with a view of the harbor and pool and it was gorgeous! This is a first class place and, regardless of what some other said, this doesn't need updating and is not run down. It is about a mile to Acadia National Park and they have a free bus that picks you up from the door and takes you downtown. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel, the food was good, the view was great, the service was not good; but this can happen anywhere. We ate at the Parkside restaurant in Bar Harbor and really enjoyed it and at a fun restaurant called Rt. 66. Anyway, this hotel is very very nice!

London
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We booked the Bar Harbor Regency (or as it is called on the Holiday Inn site, the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort) because we wanted an upmarket hotel to spend 5 nights and respected the Holiday Inn brand. We’d have preferred to be in down-town Bar Harbor but the hotel advertised two restaurants and a resort environment on the waterfront with quote “luxuriously appointed guest rooms” with a desk and desk level powerpoints. Our vision was we’d eat dinners in the hotel grounds and spend most of the day when not sightseeing in the hotel grounds and our room.

We got there late, 8pm pouring with rain and wanted dinner immediately so asked reception to book a table for us asap. ‘Not necessary’ they told us as we could go straight in. So decided to park the luggage in the room. Restaurant by reception had plenty of empty tables but we preferred the menu of the other one. That involved a walk through pouring rain to the waters edge. Plenty of empty tables but a miserable group of people huddling under a tree outside waiting for tables. They wouldn’t seat us for 20 minutes even though they had empty tables all set up because they were ‘short of staff’ and wouldn't let us wait inside.

So back through the rain to the first one. They wouldn’t seat us for 15 minutes because they were ‘short of staff.’ OK, we’ll sit at the table and wait there. But this was ‘not allowed by management’. OK, so we asked them to book a table at the first place which would involve an extra 5 minutes and back through the rain. So we ate there. This was Stewmans Lobster Pound which uses disposable plastic cutlery and plates that I reviewed here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60709-d574503-r71839109-Stewman_s_Oceanfront_Lobster_Pound-Bar_Harbor_Maine.html

Our room didn’t have a desk and had only one chair and I would say it was basic motel decor rather than “luxuriously appointed”. Holiday Inn have a satisfaction promise (which I have never had cause to use before), if they can’t fix it you don’t pay, so no worries. Next morning I asked for the promised desk and another chair. Nothing happened. Next morning I saw a front desk manager who said he’d sort it. Nothing happened. Next morning I saw him again. He said he’d left a me voicemail but there was no light on my room phone. He’d arranged a move to another room with a desk and two chairs.

Meanwhile the in-hotel restaurant was having people wait for 30 min to get a table for breakfast, yet there were many tables empty AND it was a self-service buffet breakfast.
The entire experience made us decidedly unhappy. The restaurants seem to be run for the benefit of the staff who didn’t want too much work to do. We walked or drove to Bar Harbor (more than the mile they state on their website, more like 1.5 miles to get breakfast and in the evenings we went to Jack Russells’ steak house a 5 minutes walk away for dinner (review here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60709-d401676-r72491547-Jack_Russell_s_Steak_House_Brewery-Bar_Harbor_Maine.html

We decided to extend our stay in Bar Harbor but moved to another hotel which offered better value.

We didn’t feel this hotel was luxurious or that the staff cared about making our stay enjoyable or felt like running restaurants. There were a number of tour groups spending nights here and this place had a tired, couldn’t care less, production line feel.

Somef points: some early reviews of this place mention musty smelling carpets. The rooms we had were OK having been recently re-carpeted but the one in our room was soaking wet for about 18 inches out from the walls where the aircon unit is, I assume the units are leaking.

The hotel levy a $100 fine should you check out before the end of the stay you'd booked... Hmm - in busy tourist resort like Bar Harbor you'd think they'd have no problem filling rooms -- unless they'd had too many people in the past who'd left early after finding it didn't live up to its image.

The hotel barely acknowledges its Holiday Inn connection and it’d be easy to stay there without knowing it. Advertsin the hotel are for other hotels under the same ownership. As for ‘Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort’, no idea what that referred to but if I was Holiday Inn I’d reconsider having this property on the portfolio.

The gardens are lovely on the water and there is a swimming pool by the sea's edge. But there are no umbrella's and no seating under shade.

Fremont, California
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Let me start by telling you that Bar harbor is beautiful..Everyone should go there once in their lifetime. This hotel is very nice. We stayed for 4 days and the service was good. Housekeeping was very meticulous. THe location of this hotel was perfect for us to visit most of the popular places in the area. We will come back to stay here whenever we are in this area.

USA - Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I have been staying at the Bar Harbor Regency for years. It is a very nice hotel with great amenities. My only complaint is they always mess up my reservation!!! I am traveling to this hotel with my family again on July 30th. The only pain in the neck is you have to book a room with their reservations department and they insist they can not book a particular room or location in the hotel. After you make your reservation you then need to call the front desk and ask for the room you want which they very gladly reserve for you. Based on years of previous experience though I know I will check into the hotel and my room will inevitably be wrong and I'll waste 30 minutes arguing until I get the room that I paid for and previously booked. I really wish they could fix this!!! I'll let you all know if this time was different. Don't know if the hotel reads these but if you do please don't screw up my reservation again!

Winnipeg
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Regency for 2 nights in July 2010. We really enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean & well maintained. The Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom were a nice touch (1 or 2 use size of shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion).
We tried both restaurants on site - Edenfield for the breakfast buffet one morning, and Stewman's Lobster Pound for dinner. The food & service were excellent all around & we loved sitting at a table on the dock for dinner at Stewmans. You can't beat the view.
The grounds of the hotel were very nice & the view of the ocean from the outdoor pool was picture perfect.
The front desk staff were helpful & friendly. We were using the computer in the lobby at one point during our visit, to print a map from Mapquest. The printer was not working and one of the staff members at the front desk offered to look up the map on their computer at the front desk & print it for us. He was more than happy to do this for us.
A very good stay in a good location. Considering what other hotels in the area were charging during peak season, this hotel was a very good value.

New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I had read the reviews and was unsure when I made my reservation. The reservation said I would be in the Frenchman's Bay building which is separate from the main hotel. I debated upgrading my reservation but eventually decided not to. When we checked in on July 14th and were given our room I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was in the main building and over looked the pool and Frenchman's Bay. A stunning view, all for $179 a night! The room and bathroom were very a very nice size and the beds were comfy. The staff were all wonderful and the pool and hot tub were great! We ate at the Lobster Pound restaurant that is located on the property and the food was good. The day after we checked out President Obama and his family were rumored to be checking in for their 3 day vacation. I would absolutely return to this hotel again!