“Have been staying here for years but...”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I have been staying at the Bar Harbor Regency for years. It is a very nice hotel with great amenities. My only complaint is they always mess up my reservation!!! I am traveling to this hotel with my family again on July 30th. The only pain in the neck is you have to book a room with their reservations department and they insist they can not book a particular room or location in the hotel. After you make your reservation you then need to call the front desk and ask for the room you want which they very gladly reserve for you. Based on years of previous experience though I know I will check into the hotel and my room will inevitably be wrong and I'll waste 30 minutes arguing until I get the room that I paid for and previously booked. I really wish they could fix this!!! I'll let you all know if this time was different. Don't know if the hotel reads these but if you do please don't screw up my reservation again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Regency for 2 nights in July 2010. We really enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean & well maintained. The Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom were a nice touch (1 or 2 use size of shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion).
We tried both restaurants on site - Edenfield for the breakfast buffet one morning, and Stewman's Lobster Pound for dinner. The food & service were excellent all around & we loved sitting at a table on the dock for dinner at Stewmans. You can't beat the view.
The grounds of the hotel were very nice & the view of the ocean from the outdoor pool was picture perfect.
The front desk staff were helpful & friendly. We were using the computer in the lobby at one point during our visit, to print a map from Mapquest. The printer was not working and one of the staff members at the front desk offered to look up the map on their computer at the front desk & print it for us. He was more than happy to do this for us.
A very good stay in a good location. Considering what other hotels in the area were charging during peak season, this hotel was a very good value.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I had read the reviews and was unsure when I made my reservation. The reservation said I would be in the Frenchman's Bay building which is separate from the main hotel. I debated upgrading my reservation but eventually decided not to. When we checked in on July 14th and were given our room I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was in the main building and over looked the pool and Frenchman's Bay. A stunning view, all for $179 a night! The room and bathroom were very a very nice size and the beds were comfy. The staff were all wonderful and the pool and hot tub were great! We ate at the Lobster Pound restaurant that is located on the property and the food was good. The day after we checked out President Obama and his family were rumored to be checking in for their 3 day vacation. I would absolutely return to this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Although all the carpets were supposedly redone in all the rooms, walking thru the halways of this hotel......you are able to still smell the lingering of mold and mildew and a wet smell. Upon checkin we were able to check the room to see if it was smelly or not. We were given a room overlooking the garbage so we asked for another room. Room was ok given, there was new carpet. However we were placed in a conjoining room with someone else in another room so you could hear all of this persons conversations and heard the TV for 2 of our nights while at this hotel. People were generally nice but, I left a personal belonging at this hotel and realized when I reached my home state that it was too late to drive back and get it. I called the hotel that same day and left two messages, one for the manager and one for housekeeping. Not confident that my call would be returned (which it never was) I called and spoke to a guest service person "sara" and she reasurred me they found me personal belonging and it would be mailed to me free of charge. It's been almost two weeks and since them I have not received. I've left 2 messages one for Sara and one for manager to call me back and it's been days and no call back. Hotel gives you the run around and does not keep to their promises. Also practices very poor customer service in not returning calls or keeping their word. Would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sierr39
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We were so glad we stayed at Bar Harbor Regency! The staff was friendly, the rooms were very clean, the beds were comfy and the views were absolutely amazing! We paid about $20 extra and got a room with a balcony overlooking the hotel pool, hot tub and Frenchman's Bay. The views in the morning and at sun set were fantastic! This hotel is very quiet, even though there were several families with kids using the pool. The hotel also has a full bar (decently priced) and several restaurants (Edenfield, Stewman's Lobster Pound, and I believe La Belle Vita is here also). We ate at Stewman's and it was great. You can't beat a good lobster dinner on the water at sunset! Especially when it's just feet from your room. This hotel was convenient to Acadia National Park (maybe 5 minute drive to the entrance of the Park) and to downtown Bar Harbor (again, maybe 5-10 minutes to downtown).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank writergirl28
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I read a review prior to staying that said the rooms weren't clean. This scared me, but we decided to stay there anyway. The room was clean and comfortable. For the price, it was well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Bar-Harbor-Regency, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2010

I am happy to hear from another guest that had an enjoyable time at the Bar Harbor Regency Holiday Inn.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed here on June 19-20 (stay cut short)..Alarm went off at around 11pm on Sunday night..4th time this has happened to me at this Hotel...My 3 yr old refused to go back in the room...We checked out on Monday morning and spent the remainder of the week at the Bar Harbor Inn...Excellent views there and your car is literally outside of your room. Will not stay at the Regency again! The additional cost to stay at the BH Inn was negated by the convenience to town and the awesome continental breakfast (part of the price). + the views from the Oceanside rooms at the BH Inn are unbelieveable...I have been going to Bar Harbor for 10 consecutive years...First stayed at the Wonder View, then Holiday Inn Regency, now Bar harbor Inn. The Bar harbor Inn is worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Bar-Harbor-Regency, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2010

Hello StonePer,
I am sorry about the experience that you had here at the Bar Harbor Regency Holiday Inn. While this is not the standard here at the hotel, we would rather be safe than not be.