“Should have been better for the price”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Should have been better for the price”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked 3 nights in Bar Harbor, because of its close proximity to Acadia National Park.
We arrived after dark and pulled in at the bright Holiday Inn sign, only to find out that it was NOT the entrance. The entrance was down a bit further. Once we found the lobby and checked in, we were being sent to a different building, for a room on the 3rd floor, with no elevator. We have 1 person with accessibility issues and can't climb stairs. The front desk personnel, had a hard time finding an accessible room and had to have help. The 'help' was rude and complained that I had booked that room. (It didn't say anything about no elevator while booking). She was very unpleasant about it. We were given an 'upgraded' room with a full ocean view. One that was over the restaurant and overlooking the AC units on the roof. A bit noisy too.
We also had a hard time finding a handicapped parking spot. There were only 2 spaces at the main building.
We didn't use the restaurant at all, but the laundry facilities were available, but expensive. The soap machine and change machine didn't work. Got change at the front desk and luckily, had my own soap. The driers didn't work too well.
The price of the 1 day was fairly reasonable, but the Friday & Saturday night $200/night was way over priced for what we got.
Pool & whirlpool were outdoors, which is great in the summer, but not October.
Next time, I think I will look for someplace else to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anijo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kailua Kona, HI
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very nice on the bay. Well maintained grounds. Friendly helpful staff. Got upgraded to a King ocean view room but the catch was it was a 3 floor walk up. Close to downtown but not close enough to walk at night.
Restaurant on property. Staff seemed pushed during the breakfast crowd. There were a couple of tour buses staying there the night we were there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the end of the "tourist season," and it definitely seemed that way. The room, and hotel in general, was on the low end of average in accommodations and cleanliness. From what we could tell the housekeeping staff did little but make the bed and leave soaps each day. The only contact we had with the staff outside of check-in was trying to get towels brought to our room after housekeeping forget to leave them one day when they turned over the room. The lady at the desk was friendly, but it took two calls and nearly two hours to receive our towels. Overall, our trip to Bar Harbor was great, but we both agreed that our stay at the Regency was the low point. We expected more for an average cost of about $160/ night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kyle K

Travelers are raving about these Bar Harbor hotels

Grand Cayman
Reviewed October 14, 2012

we booked a cheap deal so ended up with a room facing the car park and pine trees but that aside it was a very good pick. The staff were all very friendly, the hotel clean and well maintained, very nice bar and restaurant just off the lobby, $5 in a taxi into town, rooms are large and had armchairs by a huge window that we watched the sunset, over the car park and pine trees.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland NZ
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here two nights while on a Trafalgar coach tour. Spouse and self believed the hotel to be fairly average though do understand that our room would have been discounted so would not have been the top rated.
Greatly enjoyed a lobster dinner on one evening as part of the tour but cannot recall what we ate in the restaurant privately on the other evening.
Breakfasts in the Stone House were just OK though we needed to walk through rain on one morning.
I suspect there are better hotels in Bar Harbor though these have not been experienced by us. BH is great for visits to Acadia National Park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We would have totally enjoyed our sty except when we returned from dinner we found our room door open wide. The staff said the maid left it open but could give no explanation why she was in the room, then they changed the story to the Supervisor may have been in the room, but then they admit they don't know that either. They would not call a manage and don't have security. We lost a trailer hitch last night in the parking lot. They don't have any security cameras either. We just don't feel safe here. Everything else was very ice.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Douglas B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Douglas B,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had only one night to spend in Bar Harbor on my own so I wanted to stay somewhere safe and particularly avoided motels and inns (where there seemed plenty of room availability). I wanted to stay in a B&B, but the places I contacted required a 2-night minimum stay. (I made this trip during the first week of October)

I chose this hotel because it accepted a one night stay, and I heard the Obamas stayed a this place when they came for their vacation in 2010. If the President stayed at this place, it must be safe! The hotel is a short drive from Bar Harbor and close to a gate entrance to the park (which is good if you have very little time to explore the area/the park like I had). Their outdoor facilities (Lobster shack, bar, etc) were already closed for the season and the grounds were being prepared for winter, which was unfortunate as the weather wasn't that cold yet and it made the place feel a little unwelcoming.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the views of Frenchman bay. It is just a view of a body of water - not particularly captivating.

The room I was given is located in a building that is detached from the main building where there the rooms have no views. My room looked tired and needed some care and attention. Because of the poor quality of the room, I felt that I paid too much for what I got. I was most concerned when I found out that the card security for the building was not working. With the card security not working and the building detached from the rest of the main hotel, anyone can just walk in and out of the building.

I'd stay here again only if I had no better option. I think this place charged too much for the quality of their rooms and service.

Room Tip: My room looked tired.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo